Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK, so i've bought a food dehydrator, now what?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, so i've bought a food dehydrator, now what?

Recommendations for books on drying, marinades, wot not to dry as i'm dying to give it a whirl!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

i've done toms & mushrooms and apple, strawbs, pears...just followed the distructions that came with it and theyve worked out fine. Bit of trial & error at first but ok with it now. Ive not come across any books yet will watch this thread to see if anyone recommends anything
    The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Mum View Post
      i've done toms & mushrooms and apple, strawbs, pears...just followed the distructions that came with it and theyve worked out fine. Bit of trial & error at first but ok with it now. Ive not come across any books yet will watch this thread to see if anyone recommends anything
      How about rhubarb after being marinated in a ginger sugar mix? Or is this too far fetched? It's the only fruit I have in the lottie at the mo!
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I've got this Dehydrator Cookbook, which is pretty useful. It covers veg, fruit, herbs, meat and fish, and tells you things like average water contents so you can gauge drying times and it has ideas for combinations and flavourings. There's also a section on using your dried food in recipes.
        Last edited by Seahorse; 22-04-2009, 09:59 PM.
        I was feeling part of the scenery
        I walked right out of the machinery
        My heart going boom boom boom
        "Hey" he said "Grab your things
        I've come to take you home."

Comment

... and there's a recipe for rhubrab 'leather' made with sugar and cinnamon, which doesn't sound too far from sugar and ginger. Let me know if you want me to type it here for you
          I was feeling part of the scenery
          I walked right out of the machinery
          My heart going boom boom boom
          "Hey" he said "Grab your things
          I've come to take you home."

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
            How about rhubarb after being marinated in a ginger sugar mix? Or is this too far fetched? It's the only fruit I have in the lottie at the mo!
            i'd give it a bash, sounds delish anways, and theres always plenty of rhubarb about at this time of year if it doesnt work, be interesting to hear how it works
            The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
              Recommendations for books on drying, marinades, wot not to dry as i'm dying to give it a whirl!
              What dehydrator did you buy.
              My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

I think what you have to do Snadger is acquire a taste for dehydrated food

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Either -
                  (a) Make a nice cup of tea to replace the moisture that you have extracted from all that fine food, or
                  (b) Put it on e-Bay.
                  Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.

Comment

try amazon, mary bell and outhers just put in dehydrator allthe best
                    laurence

Comment

Originally posted by NOG View Post
                      What dehydrator did you buy.
                      Just noticed this reply..........a Westfalia!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                        I think what you have to do Snadger is acquire a taste for dehydrated food
                        Looking forward to the tomato harvest Alice................much prefer dried to fresh tomato's! A few of my own grown apples and pears, sliced will be nice also!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X