No announcement yet.

Pickled Courgettes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry to nag but do you really need to store the jars in the fridge I didnt think pickled items had to be kept in the fridge until opened. Thanks xx

Comment

• I store mine in the cupboard and transfer to the fridge once opened.

Comment

• Thanks Rustylady Will put them in the cupboard, Ive put 1 jar in the fridge to test tomorrow it smelt lovely when jaring up xx

Comment

• OMG this has to be the best pickle I have ever tasted i've just picked some more courgettes and put them in to soak to make another batch, thanks so much to the original recipe poster.
          Don't think i'll be giving any of these jars away they are all mine
          Last edited by lulubell; 14-08-2012, 10:42 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• I made this for the first time last year and to be honest I'm a bit indifferent on it, even OH who is a demon for pickles wasn't that impressed. Don't think I'll bother this year as still have some left from last year.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

• I'm going to give this recipe a go with my courgettes this weekend. My attempt at pickling radish on Sunday went well, so its time to try new things
              Last edited by hamesy; 30-08-2012, 08:28 PM.
              An attempt to live a little more self-sufficient

Comment

• Just made a variation with yellow patty pan squashes and red pepper, all sliced very thinly with a mandolin. Leaving it for a day now. Hope it turns out nice.
                Attached Files
                My blog: www.grow-veg.uk

@Grow_Veg_UK

Comment

• going shopping tomorrow and get ingredients to have a go at this

Comment

• didn't do pickling instead made a courgette cake and everybody loved it .
                    recipe from here
                    Allrecipes UK - Recipes and cooking ideas for British and Irish cooks

Comment

• Okay first of all I would like to so thanks for recipe, never been one for piccalilli but when i tasted the sauce/vinegar mix even tho a strong kick on the throat i loved the flavours.

Now here's a problem I've stumbled across, i followed recipe list to the tee except i couldn't find cider vinegar in tescos so i used pickling vinegar lol.

Now all piccalilli I've seen the sauce has been a thick/jam like consistency mine is more like a runny vinaigrette, any ideas why?

Could this be because i used pickling vinegar instead of cider vinegar.

Comment

• No Insy, the pickled courgettes aren't meant to be like picalilli. It's not meant to be a thick sauce. The only thing affected by your use of pickling vinegar would be the taste.

Believe me, it's even nicer with cider vinegar.

Comment

• I only down a small batch to test it and i certainly do like the flavour just has a rather sharp kick to it which I'm assuming a little more sugar/honey and cider vinegar will reduce.

Where do you get your cider vinegar from and for how much/price?

I fancy making some chutney's as well but the recipes also require cider vinegar, so i definitely must find me some .

Comment

• Most Supermarkets have cider vinegar, or try a Deli

DottyR
                            DottyR

Comment

• Pickling vinegar is spiced - cider vinegar is not so the taste will be quite different!

Comment

• Pickling vinegar is malt vinegar too, I find it very harsh.

Asda, Tesco and Co-op all do cider vinegar, or you could substitute with white wine vinegar (again stocked by most supermarkets).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X