No announcement yet.

Milk

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Annoyingly you can't get organic milk in glass bottles, Dairycrest were the only milkmen round here and it was all tetrapacks which can't be recycled so had to give that up.
    Since then I've been saved from the supermarkets by my Veg box suppliers who do milk in plastic bottles which I can recycle.
    Sue

Comment

I think the main customers of milk men now are people on Income Support with little children ... they get free milk.

I hated school milk - always warm and really icky. We still have school milk for the toddlers - it comes in quarter pint Tetrapaks with a straw. They also get a free piece of fruit every day (but seldom eat it ... )

I don't use much milk these days, only in tea and coffee (3 a day). If I eat cereal I have it dry, like crisps. I don't like being responsible for the death of little dairy bullocks
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

We get organic milk in glass bottles delivered from dairycrest and they deliver usually around 7.30am.
        Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Michael Pollan

Comment

We also use a milkman now; 7 pints a week but he delivers 3 days only.

I did think it was more expensive at first; but when i looked at how many times we would pop to the shops for milk and come away with other things; this alone makes it worth while. Plus baking my own bread really cuts down the trips to the shops.

Comment

We get organic milk delivered in glass bottles, arrives about 5ish (apparently!) every morning. My main reason for going with the milkman was to reduce on the amount of plastic I am responsible for (even recycling it is a huge hit on resources) and to reduce the amount of milk I have to store in the fridge - used to buy it once or twice a week whereas I now have it delivered daily. Disagree about the comment above re it only being a service used by people on Income Support, I've noticed lots of people I know locally and work with have been signing up with milky recently. Yes, it cost me more but I'm more comfortable with the fact that it this is outweighed by costing the plantet less.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I stopped having milk delivered when my children were small cos we went through 6 pints a day and it was so much more expensive, now I use 6 pints a week as its only me and my daughter, OH uses soya milk . I think the milkman still delivers to a few so might go back to that.
              I hated the milk in the playground too it was so warm and the boys used to make dissgusting noises enough to put you off for life.
              Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
              and ends with backache

Comment

We too have organic milk.Usually in recyclable plastic but sometimes in glass.

Comment

I did have milk delivered when we moved in, but either ran out, or had too much in the fridge. I only use skimmed in tea and hate cereal for breakfast, the rest of the family drink full cream. I have tried to get them on to semi, but with OH refusing to use it, the kids follow him It made more sense just to pick it up when we needed it, and the cost was a factor too. Recently I've seen people with tetrapaks on the doorstep, so it looks as if the re-cycling of glass has ceased to be an advantage too.
                  I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
                  Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Shop bought cow's milk = lots of toilet trips for me so I tried some real milk, by real I mean organic unpasteurised stuff.

Apart from tasting absolutely amazing (like cream) it didn't leave me feeling like I'd been kicked in the stomach.

If you can get the proper stuff give it a try.

Comment

I use Oatly instead of milk most of the time - tastes lovely and doesn't have the same effect on the internals as cowjuice

T'other 'alf uses bags of milk from Waitrose - organic milk from Wales that, due to being in bags, uses a much smaller amount of packaging than cartons.

We have a milk round here that we could get on, but it's far more expensive than what we pay for milk, so just not affordable at the moment.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X