beer from scratch for beginners

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ley_95272.html

Perhaps PM snakeshack and see how he got on?

Tea or Canning Urn make good boilers and have a tape so easier to empty

Comment

great news i have found wiggly wigglers (great name ) online ,i spoke to them today on the phone they can sell me barley and they are fairly sure its the type to make beer they are going to double check and email me back ,£1.75 per 100 grms and you roughly plant 25 grms per meter sq so it wont cost me a massive amount ,fingers crossed it`s what i need ,v happy
      Last edited by the big lebowski; 11-01-2018, 04:49 PM.
      The Dude abides.

Comment

hi all ,well were back to square 1 im afraid,spoke to the lady again and she confirmed that it is not the type i need to make beer so im on the hunt for another place now ,any thought on where i should look or companys too try would be great ,cheers
        The Dude abides.

Comment

Oh hell you're not having much luck are you!

Comment

no mate im not ,its enough to drive a man to drink !
            The Dude abides.

Comment

Any luck from your barley hunt?

Comment

no mate ,no luck at all
                The Dude abides.

Comment

Do you know anyone who does all grain brewing at the moment? Or would you consider doing AG Brew or two to practice before the all home made brew so you don't cock it up? If so I've had a contact from Warminster malts who say they'll sort you out if you buy a 25kg sack of malt from them (usually req 4-5kg for a 5gal brew run if memory serves)

Comment

hi,no i dont know anyone who does them and i havent done them myself but i hope to give it a try this year ,are you thinking i should buy the bag, plant some of it and use the rest to make some beer ? sounds like a good plan ,cheers
                    The Dude abides.

Comment

Sorry I should have explained better. A little while ago I was racking my brains trying to work out how to get barley for planting on a small scale. So I sent an email to a large maltsters asking if it would be possible to buy some from them and explained your idea. Long story short I've got contact details for a chap called Chris who's head maltster for Warminsters (they turn barley in to malt for a living) who says if you buy a 25kg sack of malt from them and let him know how much raw barley you want to plant he'll sort you out.

Comment

hi, well that sounds like the sort if thing we`re after ,thanks v much ,any ideas how much that 25 kg sack is ? im going up the plot on sunday so i`ll take some measurements of the beds and we can work out how much we will need in seed ,do you know what type of grains they are ? and the next question id like to ask is any idea on a dwarf hope that would go well with them ? if we can get this grain from this company each year then it makes sense to plant a hops that works well with it ,any thoughts welcome ,cheers
                        Last edited by the big lebowski; 09-02-2018, 10:57 PM.
                        The Dude abides.

Comment

25kg crushed malt (marris otter) is £35 with some delivery on top from Warminster malts. Chris garrat is the chap who you need to talk to. Marris otter is a very versatile base malt I've used it for everything from English ales and Ipas to wheat beer. Hops wise it would be better to consider what beer style you like first and it may be better for you to have 2 different hops depending on what you'd like to make.

Comment

Originally posted by the big lebowski View Post
                            jeez lads 6 posts in and your already having me spend £700.00 lol ,well ive been flicking thro the river cottage booze book and john wright has a good method that i could use and has some good ideas ,im stiil not sure what barley to plant so still looking for suggestions ,any thoughts welcome ,cheers
                            Did you find / get any grain?

Farmer Brown over the fence was "breaking in" (Cultivating field) and sowing yesterday.

Comment

i have been thinking of doing exactly the same thing and spent a fair bit of time reading up on this. in theorey it sound easy enough, however after reading all the posts and the hassle you are having, i am seriously having second thoughts

Comment

hi all ,no i didnt get and seeds in the end ,maybe next year
                                The Dude abides.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X