Apples and brandy

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apples and brandy

Please can someone tell me if I can make something with our glut of apples - also had a bottle of brandy given to us so would be great to use that as well. Someone mentioned calvados? Would that be possible? Many thanks for your help.

Keep the Brandy out of the equation - at least in terms of brewing/distilling.
    Calvados is Brandy made from apples but you need to a distillation system to make it which could lead to customs and excise...

Apple wine is probably the easiest option - lots of recipes online. Cider needs pressing etc. and is a bit more work.

Worse comes to worse, take a bite of apple, then a shot of Brandy. Wash and repeat
    sigpic
    1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

Sure you could poach/flambé the apples in the booze.

Comment

Thanks Baldy - the apple wine sounds good - already have damsons in vodka - also the flambéd apples just up our street - my mouth is watering!!!

Comment

Cider?

Or maybe you could make your version of this:
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pommeau

Essentially, make juice using your apples, mix with the brandy (OK, not apple in your case), store in a wooden barrel for 30 months and then drink.
          Buying a barrel wouldn't be cheap and storing it for 30 months before drinking might be difficult, but...

Comment

Busy day - found recipe courtesy of Nigel Slater (Guardian). So today made apricot brandy using dried apricots - will leave for a month then will let you all know how it tastes! Also used some of our apples and we have two gallons of apple wine fermenting in a large bucket - the apples are cooked and the juice is strained so the cooked apples will go into turnovers. This was a difficult task because husband was putting in a macerator and I could not get to the sink so very difficult trying to get a gallon of water into a saucepan.

We are not drinkers so quite a few bottles are given away.

Comment

The apple wine is doing fine - bubbling away in Demi john - gradually clearing but I know will take a few months. The apricot brandy is wow - absolutely delicious - has a real kick to it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X