Oh dear!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh dear!

Okedoke- first batch of cider on. Two problems ... Firstly in one jar ( there are 4 ) there is absolutely no bubbling and secondly I managed to push the rubber bung completely in! What do I do?..

oopsie - I'd try putting a new bung in - retrieve the other one when you come to decant.
    As for the one that isn't bubbling I'd guess that the yeast has given up the ghost so would add some more - that's assuming that the temps. and sugar etc are the same across all demijohns...
    sigpic
    1574 gin and tonics please Monica, large ones.

Comment

If it is a demijohn and a rubber bung then it will be hard to extract, equally it would have been hard to push all the way in. Rubber bungs tend to be firm so extrtacting them from the wrong side is not easy.

If it is cider then are you relying on natural yeasts in/from the apples to perform the fermenting. If so then it will be a little hit and miss. Sounds "good" to do it the traditional way but if so good why have they developed better strains of yeast.

What is the temperature like, too cold and fermentation stops, or doesn't get going.

Comment

I do not rely on natural yeast anymore.
        You get a more consistant fermentation and a better flavoured cider with purchased yeast (specifically for cider)---but you need to find one that suits you---Youngs is a very good place to start looking for cider yeast.
        Stick to the known names as there are some truly dodgy yeasts being sold---esp this time of the year.
        Temp should be in the region of 20c.
        Assuming you sterilized the inside of the demijohn and washed it out thoroughly afterwards.

So I would purchase and add some known yeast, but only the recommended amount.
        A bit of a long shot with the bung, but leave if for now, when the cider is ready for drinking, leave some in the demijohn, given time it will eat the bung and turn it to dust in cider
        Last edited by fishpond; 06-10-2017, 05:15 AM.
        Feed the soil, not the plants.
        (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
        Bob

Comment

All 4 jars were from the same batch of pressed apple juice and I used a cider yeast ( followed a recent recipe from Home Farmer magazines) Should I add some more yeast to the dud one? If so how much? They were all sterilised, including the air locks and bungs and I put on a new one straightaway ( which also didn't seem as tight as the others) so should I just wait and see or shall I just chuck it! Thanks for your help, I love the grapevine!

Comment

Do not throw it away!:eek
            Take a 1/2 ish pt glass, put some of the offending apple juice in it and add a small amount of yeast, wait for this to start fermenting then just add it to the affected dj to kick start the
            process.
            You could add some apple juice from one of the other djs.
            or a combination of the 2.

Have fun whatever you decide.

Bob

Comment

Many Thanks! Can I also ask whether you think the one with the rubber bung in it should be thrown away?

Comment

Originally posted by raine View Post
                Many Thanks! Can I also ask whether you think the one with the rubber bung in it should be thrown away?
                https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uL1ovAYtKuQ
                How to remove cork from bottle.

Comment

Providing the one with the bung in it has got an airlock fitted, decant it into another dj ---fit the airlock and proceed as normal.
                  You could use the one with the bung in as a christmas party game, ie the first one to get the bung out without breaking the dj wins a Mince Pie/Turkey sandwich.

Bob

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X