Any weird ingredients for making wine?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
    That sounds like one for me - I love port and I've tons of beetroot - I've never made wine before, can you point me to a good 'recipe'...?
    I'll see if we still have the book Hazel - it was from a Boots book about home wine making.
    ~
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

I received a recipe book in the post this morning 500 recipes - home made wines and drinks by Marguerite Patten. Bit of an old book but lots of wine recipes in it which is what I want it for, also fruit cordials and syrups. THere are 3 beetroot wine recipes in it, this is the first one

4lb uncooked beetroot
      6 pints boiling water
      2 oz root ginger

To each gallon juice:
      2lb sugar
      juice 2 lemons
      1/2 oz yeast (I use 1 tsp wine yeast)

Wash and slice the beetroot

Pour the boiling water over the beetroot and add the ginger.

Leave for 4 days to infuse.

Measure the liquid and add sugar, yeast and the lemon juice.

Leave to ferment in a demijon in a warm place. (centrally heated room)

Comment

How about coffee!!

Comment

Coffee wine

Originally posted by Biscombe View Post
          How about coffee!!
          Yes,I have a recipe for coffee wine.I am off to work now and will be at a dog show for much of tomorrow(Sunday)But will post the recipe tomorrow evening.I have made it before and found it delicious!
          It involves ground coffee,no good with instant!!

Comment

coffe

Originally posted by Biscombe View Post
            How about coffee!!
            Have found the recipe!
            1/2 lb.ground coffee
            3lb.sugar
            2 lemons
            1 gallon water
            Yeast and nutrient
            Grate lemons(avoiding pith)and boil in water with coffee for an hour(you could boil in half the water and add the rest)
            Strain on to the sugar and stir well to dissolve,allow to cool and add yest ,nutrient(a 1/4 teaspoon of Marmite or equivalent) and juice of lemons.
            Cover and leave in a warm place for a week,then transfer to a 1 gall. jar and fit an air lock.
            Leave to ferment out nd rack and bottle in the usual way.

Comment

I`ve one I bet you havent got in your book.
              "Christmas Pudding Wine" a recipe from my mother in law who has since passed away.Made from the juice of a pudding boiled in a saucepan of water.
              Think about it.You`ve got the fruit,rum,dark beer and suger etc all going into that water.Lovely!

Comment

Originally posted by grandad wales View Post
                "Christmas Pudding Wine" a recipe from my mother in law who has since passed away.Made from the juice of a pudding boiled in a saucepan of water.
                Think about it.You`ve got the fruit,rum,dark beer and suger etc all going into that water.Lovely!
                Come on then,let's have the recipe.Sounds good!

Comment

Originally posted by grandad wales View Post
                  I've had Christmas Ale before which has a hint of Christmas pudding!
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

any brew

What you need is water sugar and yeast to make wine, the fun bits are what you use to create the body,nose/aroma and flavour. These come from adding other ingredients.
                    There seems to be very little that cannot be used to produce one or more of these qualities. It just depends on what you have grown too much of or what you can gather. I am amazed at the variety of ingredients that can be used such as onions, bananas and beetroots.
                    These pages keep the art alive so keep on posting

Comment

Because Scarey55 very kindly bought me CJJ Berry's 'Winemaking for Dolts' book for Christmas, I've been looking through the old threads to 'read up' about wine making.

I must say, Brewer Again, that a thread that you and Madderbat had going some months ago was extremely helpful - I'm really looking forward to having a crack at these 'country wines' - parsnip glut meaning that after my 'practise' go with a Youngs Brew 7 days kit, they will be my first 'proper' go!

Just wanted to say thanks.

Comment

Oh Hazel, do have fun.
                        If you make a half decent elderberry wine (and I know you will), you'll never want that very expensive posh port again
                        A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Just got to work out what Elderberries look like then...! Never taken much notice of hedgerows before....

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
                            Just got to work out what Elderberries look like then...! Never taken much notice of hedgerows before....
                            Townie!
                            To see a world in a grain of sand
                            And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Evil thoughts!!
                              Would JAs make wine(very windy?)
                              The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
                              Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by bubblewrap View Post
                                Evil thoughts!!
                                Would JAs make wine(very windy?)
                                The French call it vintage DOM PERIGNON
                                regards
                                Don Vincenzo

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts