No announcement yet.

Any weird ingredients for making wine?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any weird ingredients for making wine?

Go on everyone - I've just got this second hand book by Boots - Home wine making and brewing by B C A Turner - and I'm amazed at the things you can make wine from - so go on, set me a challenge - give me a main fruit or veg ingredient and I'll see if there is a recipe! Bernie
    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Chillie???
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Ooops! stumped at the first question! LOL! Although I do know you can make chilli vodka. Bernie
      Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

I'm sure that I've heard of pea pod wine - sounds good to make something out ow what would otherwise be waste........

Comment

Birch sap wine is another interesting one!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
            I'm sure that I've heard of pea pod wine - sounds good to make something out ow what would otherwise be waste........
            There is already a thread for that Hazel. Bernie
            Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Birch sap wine

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
              Birch sap wine is another interesting one!
              Only birch, sycamore and wlanut saps are recommended.

Take the sap only from mature trees in March: bore a small 1" hole deep, slanting upwards about 15" from the ground. Push into the hold, one end of a rubber tube and push the other end into a jar, the neck of which has been plugged round with cotton wool to keep out dust and insects. Cover the jar to keep out the light and to protect the jar for 2 or 3 days until it is nearly full. Plug the hole with a suitable cork to prevent further drainage and the death of the tree.

6pt sap
              1/2 pt white grape juice concentrate
              2 1/4lb sugar
              2 tsp citric acid
              1/2 tsp tannin
              campden tablets
              nutrient
              gp yeast

Simmer the sap, sugar and acid for 10 minutes. When cool, stir in the grape juice concentrate, tannin, nutrient and yeast. Pour into a fermentation jar, top up, fit an air lock and ferment to SG 1.008. Rack and add 2 crushed campden tablets to terminate fermentation so that this wine can be served slightly sweet.

Has anyone ever made this? Bernie
              Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Jerusalem Artichokes...I dare 'ya.
                Pea pod wine, wasn't bad but I also tried it with runner bean pods, it was disgusting. Got any interesting recipies for banana wine?
                I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Artichoke wine

Sorry - not jerusalem but artichokes!

2kg artichokes
                  250g grape juice concentrate
                  1kg sugar
                  25g root ginger
                  4 small lemons
                  3.5 lts water
                  1/2 tsp tannin
                  nutrient
                  gp yeast

Mince the artichokes, thinly pare the lemons, bruise the giner, add to 2.5 litres of the water and gently boil for 30 minutes.
                  Strain, stir in the sugar and when cool stir in the grape juice concentrate, the lemon juice, tannin, nutrient and yeast.
                  Pour into a fermentation jar, top up with cold boiled water and ferment under an air lock to dryness.
                  Bernie aka DDL

Comment

(Sweet) banana wine I

2kg peeled, very ripe bananas
                    2 large lemons
                    250g white grape juice concentrate
                    1kg sugar
                    4 litres water
                    1 tsp citric acid
                    1/2 tsp tannin
                    campden tablets
                    cereal yeast

Peel the bananas and place them in a muslin bag together with the thinly pared rind of the lemons. Boil them in 3 litres water for 30 minutes.
                    Strain onto the sugar and stir until it is dissolved.
                    When cool, stir in the grape juice concentrate, the lemon juice, acid, tannin, nutrient and an active yeast.
                    Pour into a fermentation jar, top up with cold boiled water fit an air lock and ferment to SG 1.015.
                    Rack and add 2 crushed campden tablets to terminate fermentation.
                    Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Dried banana wine

350g dried bananas
                      2 large lemons
                      250g white grape juice concentrate
                      1kg sugar
                      4 litres water
                      1 tsp citric acid
                      1/2 tsp tannin
                      campden tablets
                      nutrient
                      cereal yeast

Soak the bananas overnight in 2 litres of cold water then proceed as recipe noted above.
                      Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Question: would you really drink banana wine? Bernie
                        Bernie aka DDL

Comment

We drank Banana Beer at Xmas! From Asda

I used to make Fruit Juice wine, out of those longlife cartons (c.55p). Result was rather rough, but went down well at student parties.
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by dexterdoglancashire View Post
                            Question: would you really drink banana wine? Bernie
                            Well, not to everyones taste, but bananas will produce a lot of alchohol very quickly.Very handy for spicing up a lesser wine ( don't use too much).
                            A few years ago a frind who worked at the local zoo offered me 'fades'. These are fruits that have gone past their use by date and therefor not suitable for animal feed. A few days later, I returned home from work to find an industrial black bin bag on my doorstep FULL of faded bananas. I had to make a few quick 'phone calls to local amateur brewers offering freebies. There was a lot of banana wine made that year. It mixed well with the bumper crop of crab apples to make 'crabana' wine.
                            I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

well i never! i'm learning more and more about home brew each day! Any other ingredients everyone? Bernie
                              Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X