No announcement yet.

sparkling elderflower wine

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're picking our flowers tomorrow morning!!!

Yeh- it's been too wet- but there are new flowers still coming through- and everything is ready , clean and sterilised in preparation!

We use a beer brewing bucket which will be plenty for us for this summer .
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

good man ,i use them beer buckets too (fermentation vessel is the posh name) got mine from wilkos and drilled a hole in the top for the air lock ,good luck
      The Dude abides.

Comment

how`d you get on today with your wine nicos ?
        The Dude abides.

Comment

...urm....ask me tomorrow!...the blossom was sopping wet this morning and then we had to go out!

Will deffo be collecting it in the morning! ( I read it's best to pick it in the morning?)

Comment

yeah i heard that if its sunny and the flowers are open then its better,not sure how true it is but i picked mine around lunchtime when the sun was bright out ,good luck on attemp number 2
            The Dude abides.

Comment

Thanks !

Today is the day...nice bright morning....I'll give it a couple of hours for the dew to evaporate and flowers to open a tad more.

I just know one 'fermentation vessel' isn't going to be enough
              Last edited by Nicos; 15-06-2015, 05:21 AM.

Comment

Just been out to collect the flowers- got some pink and came to get the white heads and it started peeing down!
                (It was sunny at silly o'clock - then very cloudy)

Cut a few but they have no scent at all- should I wait til tomorrow as the forecast is much better?
                I really don't want to make 6 gallons of sugary , tasteless water!

To top it all I ripped a pair of trousers on the barbed wire!

Maybe this should be in the rant thread????

Advice please ( about the flowers- not me kecks!!! )
                Last edited by Nicos; 15-06-2015, 10:36 AM.

Comment

hi sounds like an eventfull morning ,im not sure what to say about them not smelling, all the ones i picked smelt really nice(not wishing to rub it in),maybe you should start it off then add a few more flower heads tomorrow,how many do you have n total ?
                  The Dude abides.

Comment

Well- I picked all the pink ones left ( the rain battered most of them)
                    The white ones my OH picked and has left them on the side for the insects to come out.There's not a lot left to open out now.
                    Now they are warmer there is more of a scent.

I like the idea of adding a few more tomorrow

Think we'll go ahead and try it now there is at least a mild elderflower scent ( and not cat wee which I was a bit worried about!!)

Comment

yeah might aswell give it a go ,no point in empty bottles,how many flower heads do you have ? if you`ve got a 25 liter fv you need 50
                      The Dude abides.

Comment

Only got enough pressure resistant bottles for 15litres-so we've put in 30 heads ( 8 of which are the pink ones!!!!) for 15l

Thought we had more- but found 2 full bottles from a couple of years ago!...I'll let you know if they kept. I somehow doubt it!
                        Will try them tomorrow.

If you don't hear from me again then you know what happened!

Comment

2 bottles from a couple of years ago !!!!!!! wow i hope its kept well ,i`ll keep my fingers crossed for you
                          The Dude abides.

Comment

Update- flat but very tasty!

Now then- how long were they supposed to be in the bucket?
                            They'd been bubbling away for just over 2 weeks so OH has bottled them.
                            ( I have a feeling it should have been 1 week???)
                            What will the extra fermentation have done to it- is it going to be more alcoholic???
                            Last edited by Nicos; 06-07-2015, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Fermentation will probably have been temporarily stopped by it being bottled. Leave it a couple of days and I think you'll find that the fermentation will start again and give it some fizz. I think I read it wants a week in the bucket but I usually leave it for longer than this and it works for me. As to the alcohol content, best drink it and find out

ETA: sorry, I should have read the post above. I thought you were talking about the latest batch, not the two year old ones - duh me
                              Last edited by scarey55; 10-07-2015, 07:28 AM. Reason: don't jump to conclusions Scarey!
                              A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

do you have a hydrometer nicos ? you need to be aiming for 1010 if its higher then leave it if its lower i think you add more suger to top it up i`ll have a read and get back to you later today,cheers
                                The Dude abides.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X