pea pod burgundy anyone???

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pea pod burgundy anyone???

Think I've been watching a bit too much 'good life' but I going to have a huge amount of pea pods soon (fingers crosed!!) and I quite fancy the idea of trying to make it myself.

Has anyone ever tried to make it or know of a recipe I could try?

Thanks
    xx

Hi Zanussi101, glad to meet you. CJJ Berry's book First Steps in Winemaking ahs a recipe - I'm hoping to try it out in a bit if our peas produce enough.

5lb pea pods
    3lb sugar
    1 tbsp citric acid
    1/2 tsp grape tannin (or cold tea)
    1 gallon water (4.5 litre)
    yeast and nutrient

wash pods carefully and boil them in the water until tender, strain and dissolve the sugar in warm liquid. add yeast and other ingredients, pour into fermenting jar and fit airlock. siphon off when it begins to clear.

I've always found it difficult to boil 4.5 litres at a time, so do stuff in a big pot (pressure cooker size) and add extra boiled water afterwards. Works well with parsnip and rhubarb, see no problem with pea pods.
    Enjoy!

Comment

Hi and welcome to the vine Zanussi101.

I am also hoping for a big enough crop of peapods to make the CJJ Berry brew!!
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

Tried it once and didn't like it! Mind you, I still drank it. The only one that went down the drain was turnip! Even a splash in the gravy ruined the gravy. Cleaned the sink a treat though!
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

i made runner bean wine one year tasted awfull , but got some star anaseed and added it in and waited for it to finish then distiled it using the freezer and it tasted like pernod .
          never waste an awfull wine if you use the distilling method it gives a diffrent taste.
          ---) CARL (----
          ILFRACOMBE
          NORTH DEVON

a seed planted today makes a meal tomorrow!

www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf

http://mountain-goat.webs.com/

now in blog form ! UPDATED 15/4/09

Comment

Thanks for your tips!

I'll let you know how I get on....
            xx

Comment

pea pod wine, lovely.

Have made it before and liked it though it was lacking in body. Made it again and added some grapes and it was much better. Made it again without grape and used it to mix with sweeter fuller bodied wines to make them more of a summer drink. Mixed some with my red grape wine which is like a ruby port, lovely, but have still kept some of the port to see how it ages.

Comment

Heres another recipe from my "new" book - Home wine making and brewing by B C A Turner.

1.5kg fresh young pea pods after the shelling of the peas
                250g white grape juice concentrate
                900g sugar
                4litres water
                2 tsp citric acid
                1/2 tsp tannin
                nutrient
                hock yeast

Boil the pods in 2 litres of water until they are tender. Strain the liquor onto the sugar, acid and tannin and stir well. When cool add the grape juice concentrate, nutrient and yeast. Pour into a fermentation jar, top up fit and air lock and ferment to dryness.
                Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

pea pod Burgundy

Just a small point but pea pods will produce a white burgundy, Burgundy is often associatted with red wines but they do make both.
                  Both very nice.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X