That CJJ Berry book...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That CJJ Berry book...

Hilarious! Between the photo of him on the back straight out of The Goon Show, the black & white photos of foxy ladies wielding power tools (a fruit pulper) and toying suggestively with tubing, and his "what what?" type comments about increased alcohol content, it's a hoot!
    Is there anything that isn't made better by half an hour pottering in the veg patch?

Which CJJ Berry book have you got?
    Mine is full of wine recipes, not a picture of the auther and no-one doing anything suggestive or worse with tubing.

It is sort of "50 homwmade wine recipes" not "50 shades of Grey" isn't it?
    Last edited by Kirk; 18-08-2013, 12:58 PM.

Comment

I've got First Steps in Winemaking, 6th ed, pub 1980. Those home-brewers were a racy bunch in the 70s & 80s!
      Is there anything that isn't made better by half an hour pottering in the veg patch?

Comment

I had a 70's copy(new) and never noticed anything smutty and I would have!, it fell apart and my 2005 copy has only relevant text...
        Eat well, live well, drink moderately and be happy (hic!)

Comment

my version does have pics (but not your back cover jobbie!) - reminding me of OU broadcasts full of science bods with comb overs, tanktops & 'tashes!

Comment

Absolutely, that's just the genre!

Comment

I've got the 9th edition, '96. I remember the foxy ladies doing suggestive things with their equipment from earlier editions I used to own, but sadly they seem to have disappeared by '96. I suspect that he took all the photos himself, since they're decidedly not professional standard, and that the foxy ladies were his daughters. His surname is decidedly appropriate for a country wine maker.
              Just looked him up on Wikipedia. He popped his clogs in 2002, aged 84.
              Last edited by StephenH; 13-10-2013, 01:46 PM.
              Tour of my back garden mini-orchard.

Comment

his book is probably due a rewrite .... any foxy ladies willing to be models for the photos??
                http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by MrsCordial View Post
                  Hilarious! .... it's a hoot!
                  Indeed it is - mostly unintentionally. His deliberate attempts at wit are somewhat leaden.
                  Tour of my back garden mini-orchard.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X