Elderflower Champagne anyone?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elderflower Champagne anyone?

Well its that time of year again, when the first brew is up and running. I've got 28 litres of pure loveliness sat in the office smelling delish.

I was reading something about Elderflower last night which I wasn't aware of. When picking the flower, if you pick it in the morning in supposed to smell of bananas and if you leave it until after lunch or early evening like me, it smell of cats wee.

I think maybe I'll try picking the next batch in a week or so first thing and see if this works. If anyone has already tested this theory please let me know if its true.
    I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

I sniffed some elderflowers yesterday (afternoon I think) and they smelled really nice - wanted to rub them behind my ears Then wondered whether I had imagined the cats-pee whiff. They're too wet today for anything!
    I want to make cordial - any tips?

Comment

I have a recipe for cordial at home which i tried last year but then went on holiday and had to leave it ferment for too long. I think I got it from good housekeeping but I can't remember, I'll dig it out for you this evening. I know it calls for 65g of Citric Acid. Thats next weeks recipe.

If you'd put the scent of bananas behind your ears would it turn to cats wee by the evening? you might get some strange looks from the neighbours and the dogs!!

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        Bucket, sterilising tablets, muslin cloth, lemons, sugar, hot water and citric acid, a dry day, all of this you know. A monkey is handy to shinny up the tree to get the good flowers. Why are they always out of reach!!!

Comment

I'm gonna cheat about the monkey bit - and cut an elder down completely once the blossom has finished Note for new readers - the trees are in my garden
          I feel a trip to Wilkos coming on

Comment

I bought one of these from Travis Perkins the other day.

Tuff Tub

Comment

I made some cordial the other day using the recipe in Andy Hamilton's book. It did not turn out tart enough for my liking, though the flower fragrance/flavour is great.

Can I ask what recipe you are using for your champagne? I have previously done mine with champagne yeast to get the alcohol vol up to about 11% but it was very dry. Tempted to have another go this year time/weather permitting.

It's pizzling here as well.
              While wearing your night clothes, plant cucumbers on the 1st May before the sun comes up, and they will not be attacked by bugs.

Comment

I sniffed my elders this morning. On one bush the flowers smell of lemons/citrusy and very appealing. On the other bush, flower head at the same stage of opening, there was a hint of unpleasant. I read somewhere that there is a variation between trees.

Comment

Two bottles of cordial made taste and smell delish
                  Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    I sniffed some elderflowers yesterday (afternoon I think) and they smelled really nice - wanted to rub them behind my ears Then wondered whether I had imagined the cats-pee whiff. They're too wet today for anything!
                    .........stay clear of the yellow snow!

I think you get the cat pee taste and aroma if you use too many flower heads. Use the minimum and keep it light and delicate!
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I can smell pee on the tree.........and no cat that I know has legs that long

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
                        Well its that time of year again, when the first brew is up and running. I've got 28 litres of pure loveliness sat in the office smelling delish.

I was reading something about Elderflower last night which I wasn't aware of. When picking the flower, if you pick it in the morning in supposed to smell of bananas and if you leave it until after lunch or early evening like me, it smell of cats wee.

I think maybe I'll try picking the next batch in a week or so first thing and see if this works. If anyone has already tested this theory please let me know if its true.
                        Well I wouldn't say no, but you'd have to tell me how to make it first.

Let start with the essentials. How much elderflower do I need and which bits do I pick?
                        Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
                        By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
                        While better men than we go out and start their working lives
                        At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Not bothering with champagne this year although I've always just made it with the natural yeasts on the flowers and it's turned out fab and still needing to be vented regularly for the first week or two - always been too much of a chicken to use glass bottles in case they explode so gone for plastic pop bottles so at least you get a warning. Am going to make some cordial though using the River Cottage recipe which works very well and, so long as I make enough, will last until next years crop comes around.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I accidentally added my Elderflowers to my water while it was still hot. I would say "Lobster body bath water hot" Even though the water had been sitting for an hour in the pantry - I had assumed it would be cold enough by that point as it was only a gallon of water.

But I don't know what to do since I've almost certainly killed the yeast, but I don't want to throw the elderflower water out. Should I just add some brewing yeast of some kind? I'm assuming not ale/beer yeast.
                            Forgive me for my pages of text.

Comment

I always add a general purpose wine yeast to 23 litres of water,2.5 kilos of sugar and the juice and zest of six lemons along with 50 elderflower heads.then I rack off after 7 days and leave to ferment out.then bottle in 2 liter pop bottles with 1/2 flat teaspoon of sugar per bottle and leave to prime.If the pressure gets too high the bottles fall over as the bottoms become round and the pressure must be released.
                              to clear the sediment leave the bottles upside down and twist/rotate 1/2 turn every day keeping neck down until the gunge is in the cap then cover cap with a cloth whilst keeping neck down and very gently open cap a fraction .The pressure will blow the sediment out.Then refrigerate and enjoy.
                              Last edited by snakeshack; 21-06-2013, 01:05 PM.
                              don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                              remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X