No announcement yet.

Peapod wine

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just bottled 5 gallons of Milestone Olde Homewrecker today. Box said it should come out at 4.9%, but I've got it down to 1007 which means it's 5.9% - happy days. Has been sat around waiting for me to bottle it since late April (too much to do on the lottie lately), so suppose it might have dropped a point or 2 extra in that time. Expected it to taste rank by now but was pleasantly surprised.

Next on the agenda. bottling this year's cider, 30L of it - 7% this year. Mate of mine has half a dozen apple trees in his garden which he rather grandly refers to as "the orchard". He gives me all the tiddlers he can't sell or doesn't fancy eating and I make cider with them. Is a mix of bramleys and eaters. Just added 1kg of brewing sugar to get the OG up, 2tsp of precipitated chalk to reduce the acid and ˝tsp wine tanin for a bit of "mouthfeel" and off it went - no yeast added, never do. Fermented slowly in my porch over the winter and then sped up a bit once the warm weather got here in March, then a bit of maturung time and it's just about ready. Will make for pleasant
    late summer drinking.

Got a St Peters Golden Ale kit which I might get started too if I get time before the footy.

This rain might mean we can't get out to the plot, but at least we can catch up on the brewing activites!
    Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Wish I had come across this post yesterday, or better still on Sunday. Then I could have asked SWMBO to save the pods. Had forgotten about the Pea Pod wire in the Good life.

I'll add Pea Pod to my brewing list, along with Nettle.
      Vince, you'll like the Homewrecker. Mine didn't come out as stronge as yours, but then I didn't leave it fermenting for 2 months. Don't remember it lasting that long in the bottle either.

Thanks for the receips
      Sometimes you just have to scratch that itch and get dirt under your finger nails.

Comment

Pea pod wine update: as I sit here it's not blipping through the airlock much now, but is still as cloudy as hell. When I get back from hols, I'll have to get some finings into it, try and clear it down a bit.

Looking forward to the Homewrecker, might save it for autumn if I can..........must.............resist........

Plenty of cider to drink in the meantime, plus some Coopers draught, which I brewed for summer drinking cold. Remember Doulbe Diamond? Tastes a bit like that!
        Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

What did it taste like at Christmas?

They have had The good life on tv this week cos of poor Richard dying. They bought the peapod wine out...

Comment

Still not tried the peapod, never got round to bottling it, but did rack it into a clean demi and it's clear as a bell. Smells slightly lemony! Moving house in 3 weeks so not going to start interfering at the moment, but watch this space in due course.
            Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X