Peapod wine

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peapod wine

Now my pea harvest is really getting underway, I'm wondering about doing some peapod wine. Already brew my own beer (albeit from kits), cider (from real apples not a kit) and some country wine, so kinda know what I'm doing already, but has anyone got a decent "recipe" for peapod wine....I hear it can get quite potent...!
    Are y'oroight booy?

I had a recipe for peapod wine, haven't made it yet though. I'll have a look for it tomorrow if you don't get one before then.
    My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

I made this last year , the recipe was from Judith Irwins Homemade wine book. I havent tried it yet...........Im scared to!!
      Am sure there are some recipes on the vine for this but someone with more techie knowledge than me would have to post the links, have a wee search

Comment

It was one of the first ones that I made - I recall that it was a bit of a faff (had to keep putting the pods into the freezer until I had enough for a batch) and it didn't taste great. And it retained an interesting green colour. All in all, I won't be making it again - but don't let me put you off!

Wine making yeast seems to be pretty robust these days, so assuming you ferment all the sugar out, you are likely to end up with wines about 15%, which is pretty pokey whichever way you look at it. My parsnip wine came out at nearly 17% one year - I had to serve it in very small glasses!

Comment

Thanks for reminding me,

I've got to test last years batch of purple podded pea pod wine. Cheers, Tony.

Think I'll test again come Christmas ! ! ! !
          Last edited by Kleftiwallah; 06-06-2012, 05:17 PM. Reason: addendum
          Semper in Excrementem Altitvdo Solvs Varivs.

Comment

Well I've winged it !

13oz peapods
            1.6kg of brewing sugar
            juice of a lemon plus rind
            5g all purpose wine yeast

Boiled pods for 30 mins until on the soft side of tender. Put liquid in demijohn. Added sugar, lemon juice and rind. Pods then went through the food processor and strained the pulp through muslin into the demi. Yeast added.

Original gravity 1092, so if it ferments out completely, it will be about 12% - 13%. Roll on Christmas for a sample!!
            Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Originally posted by Vince G View Post
              but has anyone got a decent "recipe" for peapod wine
              Hi Vince

Good to hear from anothe home brewer on the forum.

I have a recipe for peapod wine that I got from another forum I frequent, thehomebrewforum.co.uk.

This was posted by Wez : The HomeBrew Forum • View topic - Peapod Wine (As requested)

Ingredients:

4lb Peapods (After eating all the peas)
              1kg of Sugar
              1 tsp of Pectolase
              1 tsp of wine yeast
              1 gallon of water

Method:

Wash the pods to remove any excess dirt, put the pods into a large stock pot and fill with enough hot water to just cover the pods. Boil the pods for 30 mins then strain, add the 1kg of sugar to the resulting liqour and heat until the sugar is dissolved. Allow to cool and then pour into a demi john top up to the shoulder with water and add the pectolase and wine yeast. Allow to ferment for a few days some where warm and then top up to the neck with more water. Leave until fermented out then rack and bottle.

These kind of wines can take up to 6 months to a year to become properly drinkable, but some are ready immediately on bottling - just give it a taste and make up your own mind.

I haven't actually tried it myself, but if all my peas germinate I may well give it a try

Andy
              http://vegpatchkid.blogspot.co.uk/ Latest Blog Entries Friday 13 Mar 2015 - Sowing Update

Comment

Thanks for that Andy. Didn't have 4lb of peas, hence they went in the food processor to extract all possible pea-ness. (is that a word, sounds rude!)

What does the pectolase do? Have never used that in my brewing adventures.

You're right about the time things take to be drinkable. I made my usual batch of cider last autumn but had a fraction too much juice to start with - filled my 30L bucket but had a gallon or so left over so decided I'd try to make some apple wine. Tasted really bad when it went in the bottles, but had a nip the other day when in the loft and it's comin on a treat. Another Christmas sampling I think.
                Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Reminds me of the tv programme the good life tee hee

Comment

What does the pectolase do? Have never used that in my brewing adventures.
                    Hi Vince

Pectolase is used to stop the wine becoming hazy when too much pectin is present - pectin is the stuff in jams that make them set, but in wine you get long strings floating in the bottle - they don't affect the flavour at all, but who wants to drink a bottle of cloudy wine?

Not sure if pea pods have much, it's normally fruit wines that have this problem but I always put a teaspoon in my wines as it is easier to prevent than fix the problem.

Andy
                    http://vegpatchkid.blogspot.co.uk/ Latest Blog Entries Friday 13 Mar 2015 - Sowing Update

Comment

Off to the home brew shop tomorrow as have run out of brewing sugar and have 5 gallons to bottle. Will pick up some pectolase too. Wine has been on the go a week now and the airlock is just starting to slow down now - assume I can jus chuck the pectolase in and give it a little shake?
                      Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Originally posted by Percy T View Post
                        Reminds me of the tv programme the good life tee hee
                        Ha ha yes - saw that one on Gold recently, it took the back off their throats......hope mine doesn't
                        Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

assume I can jus chuck the pectolase in and give it a little shake?
                          Yes, you can add Pectolase at any time, even after fermentation if you must, but it is better to get it in as soon as you can to stop the haze forming in the first place.

Andy
                          Last edited by Samurailord; 23-06-2012, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Done! Fizzed up a bit, and had to remove and clean the airlock, but it's settle down again now. We shall see what occurs. Thanks for the advice!
                            Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Thanks for the advice!
                              Anytime Vince.

Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have - I have been brewing for over 20 years, on and off, so I feel more qualified to answer questions on that than gardening where I am an almost complete novice.

Andy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X