A year of alcohol making

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A year of alcohol making

I got given LOADS of stuff by someone at work who no longer makes booze, and combined with my existing kit and my housemates kit, I now have:

16 demijohns
    Various sized fermentation buckets
    Lots of glass bottles and corks etc

All I really need to spend a bit of money on is the stuff going in the demijohns - which will mainly be foraged. Does anyone else have as many demijohns, and what do you do with them all?? I have a massive cellar so storage is not a problem, and would love to start producing my own alcohol and seeing as I have so much kit sitting about, it seems rude not to Last summer just off one apple tree we got 19 litres of cider - twas lovely (note use of past tense ) We have access to lots of apple trees and apparently now an orchard that is no longer in use in OH's village. Plus we live in norfolk - which is littered with lovely hedgerows, wild trees etc laden with clean, organic fruit. Can anyone recommend a book to explain a bit more about alcohol making - I like to know what I;m doing and why. also any recommendations are welcome for recpies

1 more question - I would quite like to make a lot (LOT) of booze and sell it at festivals etc seeing as there is a market for homebrew (I was thinking organic norfolk cider, sloe gin, hedgerow wine, elderflower wine etc) but what is the legality of this? Can you sell your own alcohol?

Yes, I know someone who makes and sells Cider. I don't know the rules and regulations, though.

I will PM you their website details.
    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzingtalk View Post
      Can anyone recommend a book to explain a bit more about alcohol making
      The old classic is JJ Berry, but he's a bit old-fashioned and some of the recipes are a bit ... bodged.

Following advice from the Grapes, I bought this one, and can highly recommend it, it's totally brilliant.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

As far as I know it is only legal to sell home made alcohol if you pass all the rules, which I believe include some form of licence, and you have to pay the appropriate duty to the government.
        Without jumping through all the hoops, I think you are not even allowed to offer it as prize in a fund-raising raffle or similar. Barter may be another matter entirely.....
        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Great tip, T-S - have treated myself to a copy!
          Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

16 demis is about right since loads of stuff needs to age about a year, so you'll easily use that many if you do about a gallon every 3 weeks or so.
            Not legal to sell. To make enough for that you'd want 50 litre tuns instead of demijohns anyway.
            My favourite book - though I can't speak for the quality of its recipes as I tend to average out all my sources - is the Alaskan Bootlegger's Bible. Covers wines, beers, and spirits (illegal here, obv)
            Last edited by oldbloke; 05-02-2011, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              The old classic is JJ Berry, but he's a bit old-fashioned and some of the recipes are a bit ... bodged.

Following advice from the Grapes, I bought this one, and can highly recommend it, it's totally brilliant.
              just ordered the step by step guide to homemade wine and the chas and his rock and roll allotment from price minister-got both for just ovet a fiver--what a deal..

thanks T_S for the recommendation
              May the road rise to meet you,
              May the wind be always at your back,
              May the sun shine warm upon your face,
              The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
              Until we meet again, May God hold you in the palm of His hand

Comment

Just had a count up, 11 DJ's but 4 are full of wheat and raisin wine which has had two years to mature but is still too harsh to drink, one has apple juice wine, one elderflower and one that the label ahs come off but it looks nice! lol

In my experience some of berry's recipes are a little out on the sugar calculations but definatly worth a look.

Cc
                Last edited by cptncrackoff; 06-02-2011, 04:47 PM.
                <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

Hi BT, there some great wine making forums out there, do a google for Wurzels orange wine and see where that leads you, cheers Dave NE

Comment

I have tried a few of his recipes and most were undrinkable due to the high sugar content, his books need updating but the basics are still there to read, Dave NE
                    Originally posted by cptncrackoff View Post
                    Just had a count up, 11 DJ's but 4 are full of wheat and raisin wine which has had two years to mature but is still too harsh to drink, one has apple juice wine, one elderflower and one that the label ahs come off but it looks nice! lol

In my experience some of berry's recipes are a little out on the sugar calculations but definatly worth a look.

Cc

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X