sloe gin / vodka, soaked fruit

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sloe gin / vodka, soaked fruit

Hi very new to all this - the forum and making our own , have made some amazing sloe gin and vodka and now I have some boxes of the soaked fruit in the fridge, any recipie ideas please? do not want to loose this as I m sure there must be something I can use it in Mincemeat did cross my mind??
    Last edited by kayativa; 20-12-2009, 02:47 PM.

People will say make this, make that, but: all the juice has come out of the fruit and into the gin.
    Leaving tasteless lumps, only good for compost heap, imo
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

There are a couple of sloe gin threads about on the forum - some post that they make another drink from the 'ginned' berries by adding cider. I've posted similar but I like to use sherry on ours - we have some big jars of 'sloe sherry' in the kitchen cupboards atm. I use a pale dry sherry or a medium amontillado, use more fruit than 1st time round for the gin, maybe add sugar maybe not, and leave them for about a month. Then rack them off and throw away the berries this time... Hi btw!
      Last edited by smallblueplanet; 20-12-2009, 02:51 PM.
      To see a world in a grain of sand
      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Ah, but surely not all the juice has come out. Leaving fruit soaked in alcohol. My idea would be to remove the stones, and whizz the remains in a blender. Resulting sauce could be poured over icecream maybe?

Comment

I'm using mine in the christmas trifle

Comment

The first time I ever made Sloe Gin, I mixed the resulting soggy alcoholic sloe pulp into melted Chocolate, and spooned it into sweet cases. My Sister helped, and we kept 'sampling' them to make sure they were OK . Needless to say, we got quite tipsy on them, and the rest of the family only got a few...
            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Great idea, I'm just about to strain and bottle my first batch of sloe gin and was wondering what to do with the fruit! Problem solved, many thanks!
              http://newshoots.weebly.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-S...785438?fref=ts

Comment

OOh, not so sure now! Have just tried sloe berries after straining off gin. To say that they made my mouth pucker is putting it mildley!! Don't think I will use them this time around and don't want to brave the ice to get sherry etc! I can imagine that raspberries etc would be lesspuckering!
                http://newshoots.weebly.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-S...785438?fref=ts

Comment

Try it with the choccie - you'll be surprised They are VERY rich though, you'll either get pie-eyed or sick if you eat too many!

Just a thought - you could add a little sugar to the fruit before stirring it in to the choccie...
                  Last edited by Glutton4...; 21-12-2009, 06:08 PM.

Comment

this sounds the best - well most sinful!! dark or milk chocolate ?
                    Yum yum glad Ive got trip to the shops planned tomorrow, thank you

Comment

Whatever you prefer! I used a mixture of (I think) Bournville and Dairy Milk, neither of which I can stomach now, so next time it'll be Green & Black's
                      Last edited by Glutton4...; 23-12-2009, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Have just started some Manderin Vodka to keep in for guests. Not sure how it will turn out.
                        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                        -----------------------------------------------------------
                        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Like the sound of these. I've always reluctantly thrown the pulp away. What about adding something crunchy ie. broken biscuit or nuts to lighten them a bit?
                          Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

Originally posted by Scottishnewbie View Post
                            I'm using mine in the christmas trifle
                            I just used (and tasted) the fresh pineapple from my pineapple vodka (after removing the bit of peel you put into the vodka to give it a golden colour). I used a pannetone as the sponge and made a zabaglione custard to go on the top figuring that the marsala and the vodka wouldn't clash. I was right. It's delic.
                            Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
                            >
                            >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

sloe vodka. after your finished straining the berries. put the berries in 3ltr of cider and leave for 3 months. remove the berries and put the gass back into the cider with a soda stream. somebody will have one. the cider tastes really fruity and you no youve had a drink strong?
                              Last edited by maryding1969; 05-10-2010, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X