• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry i meant this one

The Scrumpy User Guide - Making Your Own Cider

Comment

Abv

I have a handy gadget for determining the abv of my brews, it is called a "vinometer" the device is essentially a calibrated capillary tube with a small cup at one end for filling, I don't know if they are still available but mine came from "Southern Vineyards" of Nizells Ave, Hove, East Sussex, BN3 1PS, that's whats on the label, whether they are still in business is another matter, I have had it for a long time!, it may not be bang on but it gives a fair reading, its that or calculate!!, not for me my dears, life is to short when there is so much to be done( ie, wines, beers, ciders to er.. assess) and whos to say the hydrometer was right in the first place? or my reading of it!, I do feel that one must maintain a constant watch on ones brewing attempts, just incase one day I produce something really good!, I will want to do that again!. Oh and I seem to recall, Madmac that absolute dryness is around .960sg, Shirl may know better.
      Eat well, live well, drink moderately and be happy (hic!)

Comment

marmite, I should cocoa

Marmite has been extensively processed from the yeast that it was. It is designed as a spead on bread so I am sure it would not make a good nutrient for fermentation. However I am told it is nice with cheese on toast

Comment

well, the first batch of last year's cider from mixed trees is v good. The best we've made yet. OH made a press and we have been making changes each year and this seems to have paid off.
          Might not be able to type so well late ...

Comment

Originally posted by Brewer-again View Post
            Marmite has been extensively processed from the yeast that it was. It is designed as a spead on bread so I am sure it would not make a good nutrient for fermentation. However I am told it is nice with cheese on toast
            I would have thought that the biggest problem with Marmite for fermentation feeding would be the salt content. Basically it is yeast that has been 'killed' by some process that involves salt....
            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

take it from someone who has a scratter and a press, the art of cider making is in the taste you want. I have made in 45 gallon barrels, so if it's not right it's a lot of time and money down the drain. A good mix of apples is the best way forward, but brambelies and cox are two that work well.
              I work this way, what ever quantity of apple juice you use fit an air lock. When the first furmentation has slowed right down....taste it....apples are made up of malic acid and if it's to sharp you wont be able to drink it...if it's to sharp....(I wont get technical) take some of the juice out...disolve some sugar into it, and pour it back into the bulk of juice...this will re-start the furmentation...and make the cider stronger and more drinkable....but alcahol will only stand so much sugar...then it stops...I have made it to 11%...but this has to be treated like wine....have fun

Comment

Originally posted by finefencer View Post
                take it from someone who has a scratter and a press, the art of cider making is in the taste you want. I have made in 45 gallon barrels, so if it's not right it's a lot of time and money down the drain. A good mix of apples is the best way forward, but brambelies and cox are two that work well.
                I work this way, what ever quantity of apple juice you use fit an air lock. When the first furmentation has slowed right down....taste it....apples are made up of malic acid and if it's to sharp you wont be able to drink it...if it's to sharp....(I wont get technical) take some of the juice out...disolve some sugar into it, and pour it back into the bulk of juice...this will re-start the furmentation...and make the cider stronger and more drinkable....but alcahol will only stand so much sugar...then it stops...I have made it to 11%...but this has to be treated like wine....have fun
                My OH likes his cider very dry and acidic. I reckon the sort he likes is a good approximation to paint stripper. Some cider farms keep the 'extra dry' stuff for discerning such customers, but it is getting harder to find!

Comment

Hi All. Well, we found some of the cider we made last October, and by jings it's absolutely loverly! Clear as a bell, dry and with a bit of fizz. I could tell it was a bit strong when I was drinking it (one pint was more than enough!). So, wanting to know the strength I got one of those vinometer thingies. Did the test last night, and it came back 15%. Do you think this is right? I didn't think it was going to get that strong!

Comment

Originally posted by Mac View Post
                    Hi All. Well, we found some of the cider we made last October, and by jings it's absolutely loverly! Clear as a bell, dry and with a bit of fizz. I could tell it was a bit strong when I was drinking it (one pint was more than enough!). So, wanting to know the strength I got one of those vinometer thingies. Did the test last night, and it came back 15%. Do you think this is right? I didn't think it was going to get that strong!
                    Anyone?...

Comment

Originally posted by Mac View Post
                      Anyone?...
                      Most wine yeasts will ferment that far but it tends to need doing in stages (ie add sugar syrup when topping up after racking, so that the sugar content is never to high, and the yeast has time to 'acclimatise' to the high alcohol content). Not sure you could get that sort of result from apple-juice.....

Comment

Thanks Hilary, I guess I didn't use the vinometer thingy right even though I followed the instructions and did it 3 times....ho hum....flipping good stuff whatever the strength though!

Comment

You may well have got lucky. I was generalising!

Comment

Hi.
                            I've just started 4 litres today, but i didn't have demijon so i've used a 5 gallon fermentation barrel. With there only being 4 litres in a 5 gallon barrel there is also a lot of air and no airlock.
                            Will this have any affect on the process?

I hope my first attempt and home made cider isn't doomed to failure!

Comment

hi i started making this recpie friday night about 6pm and its still bubbling away how long more do i have to leave it

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X