Cider from shopbought apple juice

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by funstuie View Post
    Has anyone else tried this one? I like the sound of it although I don't have any demijohns.
    I have and it was easy and delicious...
    Just a thought about the demijohns though - try asking around as it's often something that people have hanging around in their garage/attic. Or join your local Freecycle group and post a "wanted" request ?

Comment

When Lidl had their 1.5 litre pure apple juice at 50p I purchased a tray with this in mind. Have not done it yet though.

From what I have read you need the pure juice (from concentrate is fine) as long as there is no added stuff. Tesko value juice is apparently very good for this purpose.
      Excuse me, could we have an eel? You've got eels down your leg.

Comment

I started by first batch of TC last wednesday, it's been bubbling furiously in my airing cupboard every since. I thought i'd add a little bit of extra sugar after consulting CJJ and i'm hopping from foot to foot in anticipation of my first brew.

If it's a sucess then I've got to get 12 gallons done for a christmas party.

I'll let you know how the trial goes

D

P.S I did use cider yeast is this likely to have any added affects? And could you use marmite as a nutrient in this recipe?
        www.myspace.com/alexfcooke
        www.outofthecool.com
        http://polytunneldiaries.blogspot.com/

Comment

Don't think I would risk marmite flavouring the brew to be honest. Not sure about yeasts but maybe the cider one won't tolerate as much alcohol as wine yeast would?
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by Duronal View Post
            I started by first batch of TC last wednesday, it's been bubbling furiously in my airing cupboard every since. I thought i'd add a little bit of extra sugar after consulting CJJ and i'm hopping from foot to foot in anticipation of my first brew.

If it's a sucess then I've got to get 12 gallons done for a christmas party.
            If it is that good then drop a bottle round to No 63
            Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
            Bob Dylan

Comment

hey good to see you/hear you! I thought you'd fallen off the planet whilst sailing across of the seas. Are you planning to go down to d.fields tomorrow at any point?
              Last edited by Duronal; 03-10-2009, 11:09 PM.
              www.outofthecool.com

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
                I am most chuffed today. The first batch of cider is now bottled (8 bottles 75 cl) and the second batch is in the demijohns. I have added exra sugar this time to give it a bit more va va vooom in the tast and alcohol department.

It will be labelled as Piglets Special Sui-cider and hopefully will come in at about 5.5-6%
                Hi pigletwillie, could you let me know how much sugar you added to make your Sui-cider? I've just bought 6l of apple juice and have DJ's sterelising as I type!! Also, how long roughly did you have it under air lock in the DJ for before bottling? Cheers.....

Comment

Well my brew has been tasted, I think it's around 8-10%. Most importantly it is drinkable. I would say that it is very dry though, i think i'll up the sugar content next time and hope for a sweeter finish. Still, 5 days to ferment and 6 days to clear is certainly a good turnaround.

Next time i'm aiming for something a little stronger, maybe a 12-15%, that way when i cut it with apple juice it'll still have a kick and a great taste.

Hmmm demijohn 2 here i come.
                  www.outofthecool.com

Comment

Originally posted by vicki lorraine View Post
                    This year i had tons of bramleys can i make cider with these?
                    You would have a very sour tasting cider. Cider is usually made fro a mixture of sharp(sour), bitter and sweet apples to get a balanced taste.

Comment

[QUOTE=shirlthegirl43;541305]Don't think I would risk marmite flavouring the brew to be honest. Not sure about yeasts but maybe the cider one won't tolerate as much alcohol as wine yeast would?[/QUOTE

I promise that you would not detect a trace of marmite in your brew! It's all I use as a nutrient, a scant quarter teaspoonful to a gallon is all that's needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Duronal View Post
                        Well my brew has been tasted, I think it's around 8-10%. Most importantly it is drinkable. I would say that it is very dry though, i think i'll up the sugar content next time and hope for a sweeter finish. Still, 5 days to ferment and 6 days to clear is certainly a good turnaround.

Next time i'm aiming for something a little stronger, maybe a 12-15%, that way when i cut it with apple juice it'll still have a kick and a great taste.

Hmmm demijohn 2 here i come.
                        Hey Duronal, was it the recipe at the top of this thread that you used? I started a DJ of it the night before last and it's bubbling away as we speak. I thought it would take a lot longer. We've got big cider head friends coming at the end of this month, so if it was to be ready for then that would be great! With your next lot will you just be adding sugar to the apple juice?

Comment

I followed Shirlthegirl's original recipe (although only 4 litres of Apple juice as Tesco had it on offer @ 4ltres £3 at the time)
                          Started it about 4 weeks ago and it is now in primed bottles. Lovely and clear and OH keeps eyeing it and saying "when".
                          My pre-syphon taste was ciderish, if flat, so I am hoping great things from the finished article.
                          Last edited by Sanjo; 07-10-2009, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Help

new member -- Cider making from 100% organic shop bought Apple Juice followed the process and the ferm was not very exciting? but did use bread yeast? (I live in Turkey and thats all we can get, but saw the comments on "marmite" got loads of that! will it work?) lasted a few days - now the mix is clearing but looks dead? Should I leave it? transfer to another DJ and let it clear more? or bottle it with a bit of sugar now? Mix been in the DJ for about 17 days and have itchy feet? please advise a lick on this site for help or post info on my next step. TA Steve

Comment

Steve from Turkey: dunno what you've done so far, was it anything like this recipe? Home brew cider and hard cider
                              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

My son and I plan to make cyser (apple mead) from cartons of apple juice. Recipe, if anyone interested as follows.
                                Eight pints(or whatever in litres!) pure apple juice.
                                2lbs.(or whatever.....) good quality honey (we won't skimp on this as it will make all the difference)
                                Quarter teaspoon MARMITE (or the chemical equivalent!)
                                Sauternes yeast .
                                Heat enough of the juice very gently to dissolve honey and leave for 24 hours (the use of a campden tablet is reccomended in the recipe but I will leave that out)
                                Rack off the juice from the sediment and add nutrient and yeast (start the yeast off first)
                                Ferment until gravity drops to 12 and rack.
                                Keep in a warmish place, the kitchen is fine and rack again as soon as fermentation re-starts.
                                (You can add campden tablets again here to stop fermentation)
                                When all fermentation has stopped store in a gallon jar and leave for a year before bottling.
                                (loosely taken from C.C.J. Berry's recipe)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X