Elderberry Wine...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elderberry Wine...

It's that time of year again when there's lots of Elderberries, so i thought i'd pop a recipe on for wine, it's one a friend gave me so i can't take the credit for it :-
    1.5 kg elderberries
    1.5 kg caster sugar
    4.5 litres boiling water
    1 tsp citric acid
    2 tsp wine yeast + nutrient (per gallon)

Strip berries from stalks, place in fermenting bucket and crush ( i use a potato masher), then pour over boiling water, allow to cool, add yeast + nutrient and stir, cover bucket with cloth .
    Stir daily for 4 day's, strain onto sugar, once sugar has dissolved, pour into demijohns place air lock in top and wait, once fermentation is completed, syphon into bottles...keep for 1 year before drinking.

Just in time for Grape Stock...

How about Elderberry Port?

Made this years ago and it really was good - taken from Grandma's recipe book so it is in old measures, sorry.
    2 quarts elderberries stripped from stalk - boil in 6 pints water for 15 mins - strain onto 1/2 lb of chopped raisins and 3 1/2 lb sugar ( for sweet) or 2 3/4 lb sugar(for dry). Stir to dissolve sugar and mix well. When cool add port wine yeast and nutrient. Cover well and leave for 10-14 days. Strain into fermentation jar and ferment out in the usual way. Best kept for at least a year.
    Sadly our elderberries are over so that's it for this year!
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I didn't like the idea of waiting a year to eat my elderberries, so I found this recipe:

Elderberry Pie II - All Recipes

I added a few blackberries I found whilst picking the elderberries. It's the first time I've made a sweet pie, it was fantastic.

Was a bit disappointed as the pastry I made didn't leave enough to do a full lattice on the top, so it's got those arty looking 3 strips!
      Attached Files
      Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
      Snadger - Director of Poetry
      RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
      Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
      Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
      piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by OllieMartin View Post
        Was a bit disappointed as the pastry I made didn't leave enough to do a full lattice on the top, so it's got those arty looking 3 strips!
        Very posh...

Comment

If i have to leave it for 12 months, i might as well have some port as well as some wine.

Comment

Elderberry & Blackberry Port

from Award Winning Wines, by Bill Smith, and Wine Recipes for the Connoisseur by Bill Adcock

Blackberry & Elderberry Port

48oz elderberries
            32oz blackberries
            16oz damsons
            4oz raspberries
            40oz sugar
            nutrient
            pectolase
            yeast: Gervin no.6, strain 8906 (or something for a strong red wine)
            1oz Gervin oak granules (optional, but recommended)

Make as per your usual wines, but Bill Smith does advocate adding some or all of the blackberries & raspberries towards the end of fermentation, to maximise the bouquet.

Cover fruit with boiling water in a fermenting bin, stir in 8oz sugar. When cool, add pectolase & yeast. Ferment on the pulp for 4 days.

Strain into demijohn, add 20oz sugar dissolved in boiled water. Make up to neck of DJ with water. Fit airlock etc.

When SG falls below 1.000, add 4oz sugar each time.
            when fermentation is complete, rack and clarify.

this is a strong wine, up to 20%. SG will be between 1020-1030.

If it's too dry, add red grape concentrate to sweeten.
            If it's too acidic, add some calcium carbonate or potassium hydrogen carbonate.

update: we tasted this last night, and it's not quite port-like (we prefer Late Bottled Vintage) but it certainly is drinkable. It's been aged in the bottle for 3 years
            Last edited by Two_Sheds; 09-11-2013, 09:06 AM.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thought I'd bounce this back on, Just in case anyone wanted to try the recipe's on here.

Comment

don't want to wait a year then do some more. The more often you brew the more there is that will be ready.

Comment

I've just racked my two DJs of elderberry (one has banana in it too). They are absolutely delicious, very port-like
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Party at TS's..could do with a drink after the day I've had ,

Comment

As a novice can someone answer a couple of questions on this

- Do you need yeast for wine (OH thought it was only for beer/cider)?

- What nutrients do you add and why? Are they available from a home brew shop?

Much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by jojo2910 View Post
                        Yes - Wilko or homebrew shop
                        It's called 'yeast nutrient' and is sold in Wilko or homebrew shop - feeds the yeast, or something.

Comment

As a novice can someone answer a couple of questions on this

Much appreciated.
                          Further to Hazel's reply
                          No yeast, no fermentation, therefore no alcohol. Yeast that happens by itself is too risky!
                          The yeast nutrient is like 'fertilizer' to keep the yeast healthy!
                          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

The OH asks why isn't sugar enough to feed the yeast. He's made cider just using sugar and brewers yeast.

Comment

The OH asks why isn't sugar enough to feed the yeast. He's made cider just using sugar and brewers yeast.
                              I find that virtually all recipes like to be mega scientific and complicated and add yeast nutrient, acid blend etc etc to get the "perfect" brew. However fruit isn't perfect and will have different levels of acid/sugar/nutrients in anyway.

You don't need yeast nutrient. I don't use it. (I have only made one batch of wine mind you, but that was really nice. My other wines are brewing so I will find out next year whether I should have, ha ha!!)
                              http://www.keithsallotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X