No announcement yet.

Elderberry Wine...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

get yourself a little book VVG, it'll explain stuff better than I ever could
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I am tomorrow when Mr VVG gets back with the car. Your advice thus far on all matters has been invaluable - thank you, x VVG
      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Well day 5 and I racked my wine into Demi johns - I know it sounds pathetic but I am so excited seeing it bubbling away and the little bungy bubbly things bubbling too. I did as you said TS and didn't fill right up so I have 2.5 gallons in 3 x 1 gallon DJs. Trouble is I've picked another 1.5 kilos of berries do more demijohn buying tomorrow. Kids are loving this too as is Mr VVG. It's like bucket chemistry lessons in our new lab aka the dining table :-) Thanks to all for the recipe and advice. I even got a taste as I got a little enthusiastic with the syphon...hic.
        Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Here's a pic of my Ginger Ninger elderberry wine. Fingers crossed for a good brew. Now made up four gallons. How much do others normally make? Fingers itching to make more but trying to sit on my hands.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
            I did as you said TS and didn't fill right up so I have 2.5 gallons in 3 x 1 gallon DJs.
            I do my first racking after a month, then top it up with sugary water or fruit juice to the neck of the DJ

Now made up four gallons. How much do others normally make?
            I've got 10 gallons on the go at any time (that's how many DJs I have) - if I had a bigger space there'd be more

Comment

Here's a pic of my Ginger Ninger elderberry wine. Fingers crossed for a good brew. Now made up four gallons. How much do others normally make? Fingers itching to make more but trying to sit on my hands.
              Get off ya hands and get some more made while ya can still get the berries. It tastes better IF you can leave it longer...it's like port...very, very yuuuuuuuummy

Comment

Looking good VVG I've yet to get started, the DJ's have been sitting full of sterilizer for weeks now.

You might as well make as much as you can.
                My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

You can make more by filling those Demigods up to the neck pronto.

Comment

Originally posted by Ananke View Post
                    Looking good VVG I've yet to get started, the DJ's have been sitting full of sterilizer for weeks now.

You might as well make as much as you can.
                    Now's the time or you will miss all the elderberries...

Comment

I know Zazen, i'm starting to worry i'll be too late. Today is the first day for a while that I had loads of time to go and get them and we have gales Fingers crossed for tomorrow.
                      My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Ours are 3 weeks early ~ I went out to get them from my usual lane and they're all dried & shrivelled up
                        but luckily the folks up the road haven't pruned their shrub, and it's bursting with berries, so I got a couple of kilos of that.
                        No shame, me: I just stand on the pavement with my bucket & scissors, snipping away at someone's overhanging garden

Comment

I deliberately left gaps so it didn't burst everywhere. Think TS advised me to do that. If I get chance I will try and get some more. Having to aide my mother care for my grandmother at the mo - late stage dementia so not a lot of time to spare. Good luck to those that go gathering now - birds are starting to strip hedgerows around here, so be quick. Thanks to all for advice given on this as I have never made wine before, only elderflower fizz. Looking forward to sampling.

Comment

I deliberately left gaps so it didn't burst everywhere.
                            It's only the first week you need to worry about (primary fermentation) when it all gets a bit busy. When it settles down to a steady blup blup, you can top up to the neck

Comment

Oh OK TS will do that then if I get some more but difficult at the moment. Didn't risk it as I did not want purple ceiling syndrome.
                              Thanks x VVG

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                                Ours are 3 weeks early ~ I went out to get them from my usual lane and they're all dried & shrivelled up
                                I've been searching for Elderberries too, and also found some dry ones. Is there any reason why they can't be rehydrated, the same as commercially dried ones?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X