No announcement yet.

Elderberry Wine...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok..... made this 3 weeks ago and it bubbled away like a gooden..... it has now stopped bubbling why?

All seems too early to me
    Little ol' me

Has just bagged a Lottie!
    Oh and the chickens are taking over my garden!
    FIL and MIL - http://vegblogs.co.uk/chubbly/

Comment

Mine has slowed off too - think TwoSheds mentioned it does this. Mine is due for a racking in less than two weeks so am not too bothered.
      Last edited by VirginVegGrower; 16-09-2011, 12:49 PM.
      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

yep, every time I make an elderberry wine the fermentation gets stuck and I have to do a restart
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks to GN for the recipe and all others for the advice. I now have sixteen bottles of finished wine. It becomes slightly addictive though as I am now brewing Damson and Apple wines...
          Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Elderberry & Banana "sherry"

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
            I've just racked my two DJs of elderberry (one has banana in it too).
            So this is the one we opened last night, it's been in the bottle 3 years. I think it's like a cream sherry ~ very drinkable, but strong

This makes 2 DJs (10 litres). It's a strong wine, up to 20%. The initial SG will be 1.020-1.030.

4.6kg elderberries/sloes/raspberries (I used up whatever was in the freezer)
            900g very ripe (black) bananas
            500g dates
            500g washed, chopped sultanas
            1134g (40 oz) sugar (not all at once! it goes in in increments)
            2 tsp tartaric acid
            1tsp tannin (a cup of strong black tea)
            yeast nutrient
            pectolase
            yeast, a strong one like Gervin No.6 (or ask for a port yeast)
            1 oz oak granules (optional, but recommended). Add these towards the end of fermentation.

Cover thawed fruit with 8oz sugar (dissolved in boiling water) in your fermenting bin.
            When cool, add pectolase & yeast. Ferment for 4 days.

5th day: strain the liquid into sterilised DJs, add 20oz sugar dissolved in boiled water (let the water cool, don't put boiling water on the yeast). Top up the DJs to the neck with more cooled boiled water. Fit airlocks.

Test the SG weekly: when the SG falls below 1.000, add 4oz sugar until you've used the whole 40oz up (keep records).

When fermentation is complete, rack & leave to clear (the time will depend on temperature, try to keep it around 20c). Once clear, add Campden tablet & bottle it. I left it to mature for 3 years.

Apols for the confusing measurements, I've quickly typed this up from my pencilled notes.
            I've also noted that it tasted "watery, rough" after 5 months in the DJ, then it was very dry. At this stage I added the oak granules.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X