Rhubarb Schnapps

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhubarb Schnapps

Just realised I haven't strained my Schnapps so will have to do it tomorrow.

Can you eat the rhubarb strained off? Was going to make a rhubarb crumble for Christmas Lunch and wondered whether to add it in - might mean we don't see much of Christmas afternoon
    ~
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Rhubarb crumble

It should taste fantastic, the cooking will drive most of the alchohol off, it is the last course after all, unless you have room for cheese and bickys.
    Have a great Christmas

Comment

I used the juices from the cooked fruit by reducing it and made an ice-cream with it,and adding small chunks of the 'fruit'. I think it was one of the nicest ice-creams I've had. Fresh but not sour.
      I've composted the rest of it and now wish I'd cooked it!
      Hope it tastes lovely Jennie!
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Strained it off this morning and added the rhubarb to OH's rhubarb crumble for Christmas Day (he hates Christmas Pudding). So should be good!

Had a wee tipple before lunch - coooorrr it tastes l-o-v-e-r-l-y! And a nice warming sensation afterwards too! I shall not be sharing with too many people.
        ~
        Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
        ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Originally posted by JennieAtkinson View Post
          Strained it off this morning and added the rhubarb to OH's rhubarb crumble for Christmas Day (he hates Christmas Pudding). So should be good!

Had a wee tipple before lunch - coooorrr it tastes l-o-v-e-r-l-y! And a nice warming sensation afterwards too! I shall not be sharing with too many people.
          Never made it before, but intend to next year!

Is it Gin or Vodka based?
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Go for it Snadger!!
            ( mine is vodka based)
            Merry Xmas to you and yours....
            Last edited by Nicos; 23-12-2006, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Wassssssss that ......... Snadg?

Hic ......... I think Vodka ........... hic ............ b***** good .........
              ~
              ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Originally posted by JennieAtkinson View Post
                Wassssssss that ......... Snadg?

Hic ......... I think Vodka ........... hic ............ b***** good .........
                Say no more Jennie!!!!! Enjoy!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Hi, here goes with my first ever post on the Grapevine (a little nervous)
                  How do I make Rhubarb Scnapps?
                  Thank you!

Comment

You can find the recipe here Headfry. It's legend amongst your fellow grapes here! Welcome to the Vine!

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...rb+schnapps%22

For the recipe! Welcome to the vine btw!
                      Blessings
                      Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                      Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                      Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                      On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

What an excellent first question Headfry!
                        I can see you are going to fit in wonderfully!!
                        Don't be nervous after that ground breaking question.......
                        Last edited by Nicos; 26-02-2007, 05:17 PM.

Comment

rhubarb vodka

this recipe reminds me of the Monty python flower arranging sketch. Take some flowers and put them in a vase.

Take some rhubarb and put it in vodka. You could make a rhubarb wine brew which is as strong as the above by using 5lb of rhubarb per gallon, follow the usual wine rules and it could get to 18 - 20%. Which is all you will get from diluted vodka plus you will have saved the £10 for the vodka and you will have 7 pints not 2. You will need two packs of sugar but that is just over £1.

Sounds like the best option to me, just make sure you keep everything clean.

Comment

Thank you all for your very kind welcome to the forum and for your help.
                            I will make both the vodka and the wine!
                            I am just about to bottle my first ever atempt at wine making from the grapes that I picked from my little vine at home.
                            May I please ask a couple more questions....
                            My instructions say to add a crushed campden tablet a couple of days before you bottle it, this seems a little vague, if I were to leave it more than a couple of days between adding the tablet and bottling would it hurt the wine?
                            and,
                            I have some plastic covers that go over the corks, do I use a hair dryer to 'shrink wrap' them?
                            Thank you

Comment

sulphite or not to sulphite etc etc

Please ask as many questions as you want as this is what keeps the whole thing going, and me interested.
                              The idea of the campden tablets is to kill the yeast. So you could stop it at sweet, or where-ever stage you want, and bottle it and it would not continue on and explode, has been known !!
                              However if the wine is dry and has stopped working ( plopping, thanks madderbat ) then you can bottle in safety.
                              I have used the plastic covers but using a hot air blower such as you would use to strip paint, it only took a few seconds per bottle so you may be more controlled with a hair dryer. You may need to get the nozzle quite close and rotate the bottle with the other hand.
                              I have a vine which produces enough grapes to make 4-5 galls of wine, it's great fun and I love the look on visitors faces when they see all the grapes, then drink the wine. Have fun.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X