ElderFlower Cordial

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ElderFlower Cordial

Hi, I have bought a new book called 'low cost living' by john harrison(which i recomend!) and in it it explains how to make elderflower cordial, i was wondering if anyone has ever tryed it before and if not if they would be interested in knowing the recipe??

Hi I've come across some elderflower along the hedgerow today, I would be gratefull of the recipe so I could have ago.

Comment

Elderfflower Cordial

Hi seeds,
      i'd like the recipe if at all pos, my neighbor has a large elder in her garden so we may as well make use of it....thanks

Comment

I made it last year, but I'm always interested in comparing recipes.

Comment

i too would love a copy of the recipe please...... we have loads nearby and i dont fancy making wine so would be good to make something the children can have.....bring it on!!!!! and thanks

Comment

Can I use the (wretched) ground elder flowers that are at the bottom of my garden?

Is elderflower the white heads of flowers that you see off bushes practically everywhere?

Comment

Elderflower in this part of the world has long turned into berries, but have made about 5 litres, stored in 500ml plastic bottles in the freezer.

I must have been having a rather senior moment as I forgot to make elderflower vinegar this year! For those of you wanting to give it a try, just empty a bottle of white wine vinegar into a jug, put small sprigs of elderflower into the empty bottle and fill it up to the top. Pour as much vinegar as you can back into the bottle and leave for a couple of weeks in a dark, cool cupboard, giving the bottle a shake from time to time. Makes an interesting vinairgrette. You can also do the same with rose petals and lavender heads.

Comment

here is the recipe............

ingredients:
                1kg bag of ordinary white sugar
                850ml(1 1/2 pints)boiling water
                20 or so elderflower heads-shaken to remove wildlife(don't wash flavour away)
                1 or 2 unwaxed lemons-grate the rind and cut into slices
                25g citric acid(available from chemists or supermarkets)

put the sugar into a large bowl and pour on the boiling water, stirring to dissolve and then add all of the other ingredients, stirring to mix well.

leave for 24hours in a cool place ,covered with a teatowel to allow flavours to infuse.Pour through a seive.

pou into clean screw top bottles and chill to serve.

I hope you can understand it ok, please write back and tell me if anyone has tried to make it yet

Comment

Elderflower Cordial.

Hi Seeds,
                  Made a batch yesterday afternoon, smells wonderful, can't wait to try it.....how long will it keep for??? Given i can keep OH of it.
                  THANKS

Comment

it says in the recipe that it keeps for about a couple of months, i hope to buy the ingredients soon, can't wait!

Comment

Oooh, will have to try and find some elderflowers now, haven't seen them around us

Comment

Originally posted by seeds View Post
                        it says in the recipe that it keeps for about a couple of months, i hope to buy the ingredients soon, can't wait!
                        Thanks a lot seeds..

Comment

Is this a true cordial where you add a splash to a glass of water to make a refreshing drink is is it just for drinking neat?
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                            Is this a true cordial where you add a splash to a glass of water to make a refreshing drink is is it just for drinking neat?
                            The one I made is for diluting.
                            Not exactly the same recipe (similar proportions), but having been offered a drink of 'elderflower cordial', I asked for the recipe. That one takes 5 days. My second batch is due for bottling today or tomorrow, then pick some more flowers this weekend (if there are any nice ones left) for a third and final effort....
                            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

It's lovely if you mix it with sparkling water too, so refreshing.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X