No announcement yet.

ElderFlower Cordial

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to have a go at this tonight since I foraged some elderflowers earlier!

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
      The one I made is for diluting.
      Not exactly the same recipe (similar proportions), but having been offered a drink of 'elderflower cordial', I asked for the recipe. That one takes 5 days. My second batch is due for bottling today or tomorrow, then pick some more flowers this weekend (if there are any nice ones left) for a third and final effort....
      Is the recipe on the vine then Hilary?
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I am hoping to make it very shortly Just need to buy the citric acid and lemons

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
          Is the recipe on the vine then Hilary?

Not that I know of. I asked the lady who offered me a drink, because it was delicious!
          Can add it if wanted......
          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Not that I know of. I asked the lady who offered me a drink, because it was delicious!
            Can add it if wanted......
            Yes please Hilary...........
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

35 'heads' of elderflower
              3lb sugar
              2 lemons
              1 packet (50g or 2 oz) citric acid
              1.7 litres water (that is what my kettle holds, 3 pints)

Pick elderflowers off stalks put in bucket with sugar and citric acid.
              Take zest off lemons (with a potato peeler) and put in saucepan with the water, bring to a fast boil.
              Slice remainder of lemons (thin), add to bucket.
              Pour boiling water (with lemon zest still in it) into bucket, stir, cover.
              Leave 5 days, stirring at least once a day.
              Strain (you can squeeze the jelly-bag if you like. I don't know whether it really gives more flavour, but somehow it ought to<g>).
              Bottle.

Using half litre fizzy-water bottles, I got 5½ bottles from the first batch. 5 in freezer, ½ bottle in fridge. Bottling second batch tomorrow.
              Last edited by Hilary B; 24-06-2009, 09:20 PM.

Comment

35 'heads' of elderflower
                3lb sugar
                2 lemons
                1 packet (50g or 2 oz) citric acid
                1.7 litres water (that is what my kettle holds, 3 pints)

Pick elderflowers off stalks put in bucket with sugar and citric acid.
                Take zest off lemons (with a potato peeler) and put in saucepan with the water, bring to a fast boil.
                Slice remainder of lemons (thin), add to bucket.
                Pour boiling water (with lemon zest still in it) into bucket, stir, cover.
                Leave 5 days, stirring at least once a day.
                Strain (you can squeeze the jelly-bag if you like. I don't know whether it really gives more flavour, but somehow it ought to<g>).
                Bottle.

Using half litre fizzy-water bottles, I got 5½ bottles from the first batch. 5 in freezer, ½ bottle in fridge. Bottling second batch tomorrow.
                Cheers Hilary!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

This is a recipe we've just used - taste delicious. We also froze the cordial in ice cube bags - although due to high sugar content they don't freeze solid.

Ingredients
                  • 20 heads of elderflower
                  • 1.8kg granulated sugar, or caster sugar
                  • 1.2 litres water
                  • 2 unwaxed Lemons
                  • 75g citric acid
                  Method
                  1. Shake the elderflowers to expel any lingering insects, and then place in a large bowl.
                  2. Put the sugar into a pan with the water and bring up to the boil, stirring until the sugar has completely dissolved.
                  3. While the sugar syrup is heating, pare the zest of the lemons off in wide strips and toss into the bowl with the elderflowers. Slice the lemons, discard the ends, and add the slices to the bowl. Pour over the boiling syrup, and then stir in the citric acid. Cover with a cloth and then leave at room temperature for 24 hours.
                  4. Next day, strain the cordial through a sieve lined with muslin (or a new j-cloth rinsed out in boiling water), and pour into thoroughly cleaned glass or plastic bottles. Freeze or use within 2-3wks.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemon View Post
                    Can I use the (wretched) ground elder flowers that are at the bottom of my garden?

Is elderflower the white heads of flowers that you see off bushes practically everywhere?
                    You can make wine with it. It won't taste like elderflower wine but is good.

Comment

all the recipes are making me thirsty!still waiting to go shopping for citric acid and lemons

Comment

I made a batch of cordial last night, just have to strain it and bottle it tonight, am feeling very smug

Doing the champagne recipe over the weekend if I can find my huge plastic tub and clean it out as well!

Comment

Got the sugar and lemons but am having trouble sourcing Citric Acid? I've been to two chemists (one of which was Boots) and been given a sob story of how they used to keep it but don't now!

Even the biggest Tesco Hypermarket in the country hasn't got it!

Can I just add an extra lemon instead?

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Got the sugar and lemons but am having trouble sourcing Citric Acid? I've been to two chemists (one of which was Boots) and been given a sob story of how they used to keep it but don't now!

It takes a LOT of lemon to match that acid content. I estimate 5 -10 lemons (depending on size). Homebrew shops should sell citric acid too. Apparently the demand for making elderflower recipes is way beyond supply this year.....
                            Last edited by Hilary B; 26-06-2009, 07:09 AM. Reason: PS, a bottle of Jif might do it. It sgould say on the bottle how many lemons it is equivalent to.

Comment

Try an online shop that sells stuff for making beauty stuff and cosmetics - you use it to make bath bombs!! We have about 4kg of the stuff in the house!

Comment

hmmmm i hope theys ell it at my local supermarket

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X