More Wine Help Please!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Wine Help Please!

I also need a little guidance as I'm in the middle of the winemaking thing for the first time too!

I used damsons from the garden, and have four gallons in two fermentation things - one is two weeks older than the other. The older one had a couple of handfuls of raisins in - the other didn't.

They have been racked twice (2nd time today) since I started in September.

The older one is slightly harsher tasting, browner in colour, and seems to have stopped fermenting. It's quite light taste wise (I'm hoping will become more full bodied; and dry (which I wanted).

The young one is more rounded tasting; redder; and still has a fizziness which I though MIGHT be still fermentation??? Though thought it would finish by now.

For now, I've sealed both back up with airlocks and don't know what to do next! Do I bottle before Christmas and leave for a few months? I have some finings to use to clear it. Do I use that after next/final racking?

I would sooo appreciate guidance. I haven't followed one recipe - mine is a hash of a few, so that's why I feel slightly in a pickle now! I'm concerned that I'll do something to ruin it and want to get it right from now on!

Thank you ever so!
    I don't roll on Shabbos

Originally posted by Rhona View Post
    I also need a little guidance as I'm in the middle of the winemaking thing for the first time too!

I used damsons from the garden, and have four gallons in two fermentation things - one is two weeks older than the other. The older one had a couple of handfuls of raisins in - the other didn't.

They have been racked twice (2nd time today) since I started in September.

The older one is slightly harsher tasting, browner in colour, and seems to have stopped fermenting. It's quite light taste wise (I'm hoping will become more full bodied; and dry (which I wanted).

The young one is more rounded tasting; redder; and still has a fizziness which I though MIGHT be still fermentation??? Though thought it would finish by now.

For now, I've sealed both back up with airlocks and don't know what to do next! Do I bottle before Christmas and leave for a few months? I have some finings to use to clear it. Do I use that after next/final racking?

I would sooo appreciate guidance. I haven't followed one recipe - mine is a hash of a few, so that's why I feel slightly in a pickle now! I'm concerned that I'll do something to ruin it and want to get it right from now on!

Thank you ever so!
    The fizzing one is still fermenting, so put an airlock back in and allow to finish - the timings in the receipes are a loose guide at best, especially if you are relying on natural (rather than added) yeast.

Once fizzing has stopped rack to a clean, sterile demijon (or several sterile bottles), cork and leave in a cool dark place for at least 6 months. If in a demijon bottle and leave for a further 6 months. If in bottles already leave for another 6 months (ie 12 in total). Damson wine tastes better as it ages - I aim for 5 years before drinking but rarely make it past 3

Regards

Kitchen Gardener

Comment

Check the specific gravity of both. The fizzing in the one might just be CO2 rather than actual fermenting which will be verified by the start and current SG readings, as well as the readings you can check this by taking a sample of the wine in a small bottle covering the top and shaking - fizzing may die off after a few shakes (this indicates CO2). I would be inclined to rack them both and leave somewhere cool to settle and clear. You might find that they will blend nicely at the end of it all and make one batch from the two.
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

Thanks both - that's exactly the advice I need. There is a wealth of it to there on t'internet, but too much sometimes! That's such a help. I also can't believe I didn't think of putting them together *smacks forehead* as they are both pretty much identical, and will free up one fermentation thingy.

One more question - if I do as you both suggest, and leave in demi-john in celler for 6 months and then bottle in summer or something, what do I do to prevent it going 'bad'? I don't know what turns wine vinegary, but would obviously like to avoid it!

If I put both batches together, sterilise the empty dj, and place in there, is that as much as I can hope to do?

thanks so much again.
        I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Wine goes vinegary if fruit flies or other contaminants get into it. This is not so likely in winter time but the wine should be kept well covered (under airlock or corked).

If you want to mix them together then try it first in a glass - keep a note of different ratios and then mix the batch to the taste you like best. I would think syphoning into a clean receptacle (even a large saucepan will do) would be the best advice then put into a sterilised demijohn. Put your hand over the top of the demijohn and shake vigorously a few times until the 'fizzing' stops (degassing). Then cork well and leave in a cool place until it clears. Adding crushed Campden tablets (ratio on container) will prevent any oxidisation of the wine. If you prefer to use finings then do so but slow and gradual clearing will give you an indication of when the wine is ready for further sampling.

Hope that is clear enough. I haven't made damson wine yet as I only found 2 damsons on my foraging trip this year! Hopefully will have better luck next season.
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

You're brilliant - thank you! That's a massive help. x
            I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

good here isn't it !!

I reckon the reason the damsons with raisins is working better is that raisins will have essential nutrients for the yeast which will help the fermentation speed.
              If you use air locks you can see when the ferment has stopped. You can leave the wine stopped and under air lock for ages as long as you make sure the fluid does not dry out of the air lock.
              As you have such a good quantity I would keep them seperate as you may favour the finished taste of one over the other. You can always try blending them when they are finished.
              If you are going to leave them to mature, most I have managed is one year, make sure they are racked off the lees (solids), any remaining lees will taint the wine.

Comment

Oooh...ok then...the solids are pretty much all gone now. This is obviously a dumb question, but how can I tell from the airlock if the fermentation has ceased? One has got traces of moisture in -the other hasn't.

Am I better off putting it into bottles (was going to use glass screw capped) or leaving in dj? Happy to leave for a couple of years or however long it takes.

Blimey - it's a bit involved isn't it? Thanks again!
                I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Your airlock should always be half filled with water and you see the bubbles going through it as the fermentation happens. The purpose of the water is to stop air or bugs going in through the airlock and to allow the gasses made during fermentation to get out (or you might blow up the bottles).

Aging in either the demijohn (without any lees) or bottles is an option but leaving the wine in the dj to clear is a good idea then you know your wine is ready to drink when it is bottled to age. (hope that makes some sense)
                  Happy Gardening,
                  Shirley

Comment

argh!!! *rushes to half-fill airlocks with water*

have I killed it?
                    I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Originally posted by Rhona View Post
                      argh!!! *rushes to half-fill airlocks with water*

have I killed it?
                      dooon't panic mr mannering

probrably not, cos the yeast releases gas at first that is a lock in itself, just get some water in now.
                      Vive Le Revolution!!!
                      'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
                      Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

water now in...

Every now and again (actually just a few times since last night) there's a little gurgle. Is that fermentation still going on then? I think it's only coming from one though. Hope the other ones not dead...

I'm such a dur-brain sometimes.
                        I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

The only real check for end of fermentation is to take specific gravity readings at the start and then compare these as fermentation progresses. The yeast will only 'work' down to a certain alcohol level so the specific gravity enables you to work out how much alcohol there is and thus whether fermentation has ceased. The easiest visual check is airlock activity, however, after ferment has finished there is usually residual gas in the wine (makes it taste harsh and nasty) that is why I suggested degassing some (put a wee bit in a glass or mug or whatever and stir vigorously. if the fizzing stops after a few stirs then ferment is finished and the bubbles are due to gasses trapped in the wine) to see.

You can make two 'identical' batches of wine on the same day and find that one finishes much sooner than the other - the quantity of sugar in the fruit, slight temperature differences and all sorts of other factors will cause that.
                          Happy Gardening,
                          Shirley

Comment

not complex really !!

Once you get the basics the rest is about cleanliness. The more you know the better the wines become. I hope the gurgling is gas going out not air going in as it cools. check the bubbles??

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X