Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harumpf,

Some people get enough pea pods to make wine with
    A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Cripes, I never heard of pea pod wine before, don`t know if it sounds particularly tasty, would love to know if anyone has had any.... its a great idea though. Makes full use of the `fruits` of your labour. Let us know how it goes.
      Good luck.

Garden-Assistant.co.uk - Gardening, Advice, News, Features and Reviews
      Gardener`s Blog
      http://www.how-to-vegetable-garden.com
      http://www.garden-assistant.co.uk
      http://busygardener.blogspot.com

Comment

mine's maturing under the stairs - tasted fine when I filtered it... dry, gold coloured white wine, slight bouquet of peas but not offensive (nowhere near as manky as the smell when I boiled the pods initially)

Going to try a blind tasting on some friends and neighbours around Christmas time

Comment

Originally posted by scarey55 View Post
          Harumpf,

Some people get enough pea pods to make wine with
          I had to save the pods in the freezer to get enough.
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
            I had to save the pods in the freezer to get enough.
            me too........

Comment

update on the wine - had a glass out of the demijohn last night and it tasted....

...bloody awful !! Has definitely NOT improved in storage as it was palatable when I filtered it last month. I have some "quick apple" wine ready so may see what it's like as a blend, but otherwise it's drain cleaner

Comment

Mine is clearing - the recipe I used said to ferment in a bucket for around three days then filter into demijohn. I did that, and it hasn't 'worked' since but started to clear. I checked SG the other day and it is fermented out! Tastes okay but a bit fresh. Strange how we are all getting different results - wonder if it depends on pea type and recipe used?
                Happy Gardening,
                Shirley

Comment

Mine is still far too murky to try - I racked it off last weekend, and I think that it's getting there.

Comment

Wine not clearing!

This is what the pea pod wine looks like now, folks - hardly appetising, I know! It's had about 10 weeks just sitting there now, not getting discernably clearer.

Should I add wine finings, or be patient and wait for it to clear itself?
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Hazel at the Hill; 06-11-2008, 11:04 AM.

Comment

I would leave it alone. I must remember to rack mine sometime, I am sure it has been sat there for long enough!
                      Happy Gardening,
                      Shirley

Comment

I used to make lots of wine and haven't done now for a few years - reading these posts, I got the yen again but the thing is - am I too late now for this year? Is there anything around still I could use? Even my friend's windfall apples (which I've used some other years) are eaten up by now.

I once made pea pod wine and it was a nice clear white wine - I liked it though was a bit put out when my daughter (about six at the time) asked - What is it? Pee pot wine?
                        (giggles all round from the kids).
                        My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by maytreefrannie View Post
                          I used to make lots of wine and haven't done now for a few years - reading these posts, I got the yen again but the thing is - am I too late now for this year? Is there anything around still I could use? Even my friend's windfall apples (which I've used some other years) are eaten up by now.

I once made pea pod wine and it was a nice clear white wine - I liked it though was a bit put out when my daughter (about six at the time) asked - What is it? Pee pot wine?
                          (giggles all round from the kids).
                          What's in your plot, Maytreefrannie? I'm just about to start some pumpkin/squash wine off this weekend - or you may have some rosehips still, or go to the market and see if you can get some cheap parsnip, or carrots perhaps? Actually, I bet the supermarkets are selling off cheap pumpkins now that halloween is over.

And you're rubbing it in about your pea pod wine being nice and clear!

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
                            What's in your plot, Maytreefrannie? I'm just about to start some pumpkin/squash wine off this weekend - or you may have some rosehips still, or go to the market and see if you can get some cheap parsnip, or carrots perhaps? Actually, I bet the supermarkets are selling off cheap pumpkins now that halloween is over.

And you're rubbing it in about your pea pod wine being nice and clear!
                            It was clear and definitely nice, Hazel - but believe me, I've made some wines which went into the compost.

Overall, though, I think winemaking is great and so much cheaper than the bottle of red from Tesco we've had with tonight's dinner - unfortunately, my garden doesn't measure up to your ideas - nothing left except herbs and little Swiss chard plantlings which I'm hoping will give us some return later.

Also - now you've made me think - I have the ever-hopeful-optimist's potatoes-in-a-bin-for-Christmas and some onions and garlic - but nothing ready for picking now.

I'll try local veggie shops - you've just reminded me that I've seen apples selling cheaply (a bit over-ripe but fine for winemaking) so I'll check those out tomorrow.

Thanks.
                            My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

well if you want to have a go, and have no produce left to try, use tinned fruit, or pure juices.
                              i am having smashing success with the red grape juice from tescos, the wine takes two weeks roughly and is a lovely rosé. comes out at about 10-14% depending on how much sugar you add. works out at roughly 70p a bottle.

if you want the recipe, shout!

we are going to try tinned pears next week, although i am not a fan of white wine.
                              and there is always mead, cos you can get honey all year round ( although with the bee shortage prices are going up)
                              Last edited by BrideXIII; 09-11-2008, 09:29 PM.
                              Vive Le Revolution!!!
                              'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
                              Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

oh! I made orange and mango juice wine about 6months ago! I had a bottle when I made it, but it's waiting in the garage for me to drink.

Possibly for not that much longer, tho'.....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X