Pea pod wine

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about your celery?
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
      What about your celery?
      You may have a tiny point there!

I do hope that the parsnip is not the exception which proves the rule!

Comment

Parsnips are sweet (anyone tried carrot wine??). Marrow can work well. I think veggies only REALLY work if they have sweetness 'built in'. Not sure about potato wine (never made any and never talked to anyone who did)
        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I remember my Grandad making parsnip and carrot wine when we were kids (we were allowed a glass with a roast - took the flavour away from Mums cooking). I remember it tasting pretty awful even then.
          A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

pea pod wine

one of the best wines I have ever tasted was pea pod. There is a lot of waisted flavour in the pods which with careful treatment make a really nice wine. If you have a lot of pods you can make a base wine to use as an addittive to other wines.
            It can be kept as a mixer and it can be a nice wine in its own right.

Flummery, If only I could take you through a tasting session of vegetable wines. You would be amazed.

I make vine wines but the veg ones are an equal, if made with due care.

Comment

I have made and tasted many of my own and others' vegetable wines. Even the drinkable are a disappointment in my opinion. Carrot is fine - potato is good - especially if you add the juice of a couple of oranges. I think the natural sweetness is the key.

As to pea pods. I boil them up for a soup stock. You get a definite taste of peas - lovely.
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

weighed and counted 8oz pea pods.....50 (empty) pods!
                crumbs it will never get to 5lb in one go! that would be enough to feed a family of 10!

Comment

I have made space in the house freezer (big chest freezer is in the In-Laws garage) so the next lot of peas will have their pods frozen.
                  Happy Gardening,
                  Shirley

Comment

pea pea pea !

I think you will need to shuck 776 peas to have enough pods. Lets see how you do.

Still say that veg wines can be as nice as vine wines

Potato wine is the start of Potcheen, could be difficult to clear but could be a useful base wine. One to use to add strong tasting wines to

Comment

I've also made peapod wine for the first time this year
                      5lb of pods was about 4 large freezer bags jammed full... I did freeze mine and just stewed them straight from frozen.
                      I used the Jack Keller recipe but added half a litre of white grape juice just to give it a bit more body.

Racked it off last weekend and it didn't smell horrible or look green like some reports I've heard. It's clearing under the stairs now.

Will post on here when we bottle it
                      Last edited by Twinkle; 14-07-2008, 10:19 PM.

Comment

My grandad worked a huge allotment and made wine out of everything at some point or other - and every one was gorgeous, including the sprout, oddly..
                        Perhaps you could try a mixture of pea pods and other green veg?

Comment

well mine had cleared after racking so I filtered it tonight.

Had a sneaky swig and it tasted pretty good... dry, nice flavour, slight peapod taste, but will leave it to mature for as long as I can before blind tasting it on some friends to see if they can tell what it was made from

Comment

I have started on my peapod wine. Boiled the pods yesterday (that was stinky) and strained them off and adjusted the SG this morning. Went to add the yeast to find mine is out of date so need to go and buy some today.

Did you get yours underway yet Hazel?
                            Happy Gardening,
                            Shirley

Comment

I would suggest, having made pea-pod wine that your pods would be better off on the compost heap! Carrot wine though, HilaryB, is lovely.

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
                                I have started on my peapod wine. Boiled the pods yesterday (that was stinky) and strained them off and adjusted the SG this morning. Went to add the yeast to find mine is out of date so need to go and buy some today.

Did you get yours underway yet Hazel?
                                Yep - it's been on the go for just over 4 wks and although it has stopped working it has remained v murky, so I gave it a bloody good shake this morning in case it needed de-gassing.

It now looks even more murky.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X