No announcement yet.

Blackberry Whisky

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Matt - sounds good to me! Yes, I did use a cheaper whiskey, Morrisons as I recall (sorry, Morrisons dont mean it - just in relation to the more mature, barrelled varieties).
    Keep giving it the odd shake every now and then.....roll on Christmas !
    Look forward to hearing about your latest ventures! dexterdog
    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Appreciate it's not alcoholic but my mum used to make a blackberry syrup/cordial which was superb. Her instructions to me have been just simmer it up with some water and sugar. Unfortunately I now have jam!! If any one has some slightly more specific instructions I would be v. grateful as I'd like my daughter to try it.
      Bright Blessings
      Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

that sounds a good idea! I'll have a root through my recipe books and see if I can find anything - its been tipping it down all day here so I'm in a cooking mood!
        Bet the jams good though!!
        smiling is infectious....

http://www.thehudsonallotment.blogspot.com/ updated 28th May 2008

Comment

Thanks vicki, and yes the jam is superb. Probably if i'd tried making jam it would have been rock hard but this is lovely and soft and totally blackberries. I'm sharing it with work as I can get loads more blackberries to make more jam from fresh or frozen. Only costs me the sugar.
          Bright Blessings
          Earthbabe

Comment

did you find a cordial recipe? I can't seem to find one - I found a few that called themselves cordial but had vodka in but I'm sure thats not what you're after!!
            smiling is infectious....

http://www.thehudsonallotment.blogspot.com/ updated 28th May 2008

Comment

I have both a blackberry whiskey recipe and a blackberry cordial/syrup (no vodka) recipe at home if anyone is still interested. Haven't tried either yet but they sound delicious!!!! And I've done a strawberry cordial one that is similar (and to die for) I'll post them up tomorrow.

Comment

Definitely still interested and you'd be right about the vodka. Have just been promised a blackberry and clotted cream icecream recipe from my sis which I will post on that thread when I get it.
                Bright Blessings
                Earthbabe

Comment

...here are the recipes

Blackberry whisky
                  (Unsure where I got this from but I think it's a Prue Coates recipe)

2kg/4lbs Blackberries
                  225g/8oz suger (or less according to taste)
                  1 bottle of whisky

Place the fruit, sugar and whiskey in a large screw top or kilner style jar. Shake every few days until the sugar has dissolved. Place in a dark cupboard, turning slowly to mix once every two weeks or so. After three months strain and bottle. The whisky will have turned a deep, dark purple. It can be drunk straight away but the flavour will continue to improve for up to 2 years.
                  I'm going to make some of this for Christmas presents...and some for myself of course!!

Blackberry Cordial
                  600gm (1 1/4lb) blackberries
                  100gm 3 ½ oz)sugar
                  2tsp cinnamon pieces
                  2tsp whole cloves

Mash the fruit and strain through a sieve, pressing the fruit with the back of a spoon to extract as much juice as possible. Add the liquid to a saucepan and to every 300ml (1/2 pint) of liquid, add 100g (3 1/2 oz) of sugar. Add the cloves and cinnamon. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring regularly as the liquid reduces and thickens. Strain through a sieve to remove the spice pieces and pour into clean sterilized bottles. Store in refrigerator.
                  To Serve.....dilute as required in glasses of iced sparkling water. Also makes great ice lollies.

The Blackberry Cordial is from the September issue of Country Kitchen mag. I'm pretty sure it would work the same as their strawberry cordial (earlier issue) in that you could wait for the liquid to cool and put it in plastic bottles for freezing.

hope they help!

Comment

Sounds great Missymoo. Will have to pick some more blackberries to try it. Oh dear, what a shame! I've managed to find a syrup recipe which I will post tomorrow when I have the book to hand.
                    Bright Blessings
                    Earthbabe

Comment

I've found the perfect whisky recipe...................you pour a large malt in a glass.......................................and drink it(why ruin whisky with blackberries and why ruin blackberries,they belong in a pie with custard.)

Comment

Hi missymoo thanks for the blackberry whisky recipe.

will make ready for christmas and share it with blackitty who is my daughter in law.

thank you

Comment

Oops does this mean I have to behave myself now

Comment

I have visions of us all sat in our little sheds on our plots ( or greenhouse in my case) well wrapped up against the cold with little glasses of our whiskey/gin/cordial in hand! Sounds good to me! dexterdog
                            Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

I meant to keep my blackberries to make the aforementioned whisky... but I made them into crumble and ate them with cream...DAMN ! (yummy though!!! )
                              How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being.”

Comment

Got my whisky and vodka blackberried over the weekend. Now I just have to be strong and wait.................

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X