Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ginger ale?

Hi,

My Dad has just moved to Turkey and can not find ginger ale any where. Bit of a disaster for him as he loves to dilute the ginger ale with whiskey

Any of you know how to make this? Might stop him getting too tipsy

Thanks, Mandy

I did that once - will hunt for the recipe.
    We put the ginger ale in empty small beer bottles and crown corked them. In the end we had to leave them out in the garden as they exploded as they fermented, and were too dangerous to open!!!
    So watch out
    Tx
    Tx

Comment

Used to be known as Ginger Beer - my mum used to make it. You "grow" the culture in a jam jar and feed it with ginger and sugar every day. Once a week you strain it off and convert the liquid into the "beer". The culture is easy. One teaspoon of dried yeast, one teaspoon of sugar and one teaspoon of dried ginger powder. Mix with about half a pint of water. As I said, you feed it one teaspoon of sugar and one teaspoon of dried ginger per day. At the end of the week you strain the whole lot through muslin, discard or give away half the sludge and start again with the remaining half of the sludge. The liquid is diluted with water and lemon juice and bottled into strong beer bottles (The sort with screw caps are good but as Tootles says the stuff carries on fermenting and can blow the tops off if they aren't secure. Can't find the quantities of water and lemon juice at the mo, but will do some research and get back.

Comment

Hi Tootiles and RustyLady,

Thanks for your quick replies! If you can find the water/lemon quantity that would be great can't wait to let my dad know

Thanks, Mandy

Comment

Without sounding too thick- aren't ginger ale and ginger beer different things?? ..similar but different??
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Very similar Nicos, but if you can't buy ginger ale you could always try substituting ginger beer. Did a search on the net and have come up with this recipe. Ginger "plant" as already said. They say make the beer every ten days, we used to do it every week on Saturday, but I suppose it can be adjusted.

Dissolve 18 oz (500g) of sugar in one and a half pints (900ml) of water. Bring to the boil, let cool and add the strained juice of two lemons. Add the liquid from your ginger plant to this mixture, together with another six pints (3.4 litres) of water. Stir well and bottle in sterilised strong screw topped beer bottles. Store in a cool place for at least two weeks before you drink.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X