Rhubarb Ripple Fool

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhubarb Ripple Fool

Something else for Hazel at the Hill to do with her acres of rhubarb...!
    Serves 2. Prep time 10-15 mins, plus cooling and freezing

350g rhubarb, ends trimmed
    50g golden caster sugar
    142ml carton double cream
    half a 200g carton fromage frais
    to serve: shortbread or other crisp biscuit

1. Heat the oven to 200c/fan 180c/gas 6. Trim and rinse the rhubarb - don't dry it. Cut into 5cm pieces. Put on a baking tray, tip on the sugar. Cover with foil, then roast for 10 mins.

2. You then either 'faff about' lining moulds with baking paper etc. or buy yourself some silicone muffin mould trays (Le Creuset do them) which there's no need to line, and they will 'blow your frock up' in comparison.... So..... Remove foil from tray and uncover the rhubarb and roast until tender, 3-5 mins, and the juices are syrupy. Set aside 10 pieces and the syrup, then puree the rest. Add sugar if needed. Leave until cold.

3. Softly whip the cream. Fold in the fromage frais, then the pureed rhubarb, rippling it through the cream. Spoon into the moulds, cover with clingfilm and foil, and freeze for 2 hours.

4. To serve, push the frozen fools out from the moulds onto a nice plate or dish. Top with 2 rhubarb pieces, serve the rest around the fool with some syrup.
    And Bob's your Auntie....

Noooooo! Unfair!!! I have rhubarb JUST COOKED in the kitchen, but no cream or creme fraiche!! It sounds FAB!!

Right - shopping day tomorrow....where's that shopping list....

Comment

Oh, BAD Wellie!

Comment

I'll say - how do I get in that bikini when you're tempting me with creamy yummy sweets - SERVED WITH SHORTBREAD!

And it's no good telling me its fruit so it's good for me!!!!

Comment

Wellie ! I'm not a big sweet fan but that one sounds just great to me.Will definately be added to the repertoire. I have some rhubarb about ready now - so - shortbread here I come. Thank you.

I take it you definatley recommend those silicone type baking dishes. Something about them I haven't been able to convince myself about. Might go with your recommendation there.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Hi Alice,
            Yes, I'm a huge fan of them! I have two of the Muffin sized trays, which are currently freezing some Parsnip, Wild Rice and Potato Rosti's....
            I cannot recommend them highly enough. They don't need greasing, don't rust, dishwasher-proof, and just fabulous for making/freezing 'single portions' of sweet or savoury mousses, icecreams, muffins, rosti's, sweet or savoury crumbles - oh, the list is endless......

Comment

*sigh*

where did I put the shopping list........?

and where is the scrummy rosti recipe....?
              Last edited by Hazel at the Hill; 29-03-2007, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Hazel,
                I promise I hadn't checked out your updated blog before I posted the fool recipe..... isn't telepathy spooky?!

And yes, will post up the Rosti recipe for you sometime very soon. Promise.

Comment

Thanks Wellie - definately convinced. And yes, what about the rosti recipe. Yes please !

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Oh, and one other benefit of these silicone moulds Alice - particularly if you 'make to freeze' as I do, that once whatever it is that you've made is frozen, you just pop it out of the mould so easily, rather than 'struggling with it' from conventional mould tins. And you just individually wrap it and freeze it then.
                    Honestly, I'm sure you'll warm to them instantly.
                    Anyhow. Trousers gone to bed now. Nice music. Glass of wine. I'll go and get the recipe for the rosti....

Comment

I'll be out tomorrow trying to convince the rhubarb it needs to grow! I'm a bit behind everyone else in the growing stakes, but when it starts to grow, boy do I have alot. Thanks Wellie, thats a super recipe.

Interested in these moulds too. Any idea where I might get them from. Lakeland?
                      ~
                      Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                      ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

I've seen them in the shops, I'm sure, JA, but here's the quality version if you've a cool 20 quid to spare!

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/product.aspx/!11361_11360

I've got the right end of the stick, haven't I, Wellie?
                        Last edited by Hazel at the Hill; 29-03-2007, 10:45 PM. Reason: qu?

Comment

Hi Jennie!
                          If Lakeland don't sell them, I'd be hugely surprised! I bought mine from a tiny kitchen shop in Chepstow because they were in the sale. Sucker for a bargain, and I'm SO pleased I bought them as they've had endless use...
                          Try Lakeland website first?

Comment

Haze, they seem a bit pricey. And I'm a Monkey's Uncle if Le Creuset are cheaper, but worth a look?

Comment

Originally posted by wellie View Post
                              Haze, they seem a bit pricey. And I'm a Monkey's Uncle if Le Creuset are cheaper, but worth a look?
                              They do, don;t they - this calls for some research over the weekend!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X