Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• french beans

hi all,
    i have got loads of french climbing beans in pots in the greenhouse that are about 4-5 inch tall, i was wondering when should i put them out in the ground, im in birmingham and we havent had a frost for over 3 weeks now and night tempertatures arnt going below 7 degrees. any advice welcome. thanks again

oooh do not tempt fate, last year in Hertfordshire, we had a hard late frost in mid may, i Know it is tempting, but do not put them out yet, you will be suprised how quick the weather changes for the worst

Comment

The Italian growers on our site (who have the most amazing turn around of successful crops...annoyingly!!) already have their beans out growing. To add to that confusion they have also planted 4 rows of sweetcorn seedlings already too! Personally, I'm wtih DED above, I'd wait, we had frost here (Essex) in May too (except on the Italian plots evidently!)

Comment

I haven't sown mine yet! Hard frost here in Mid May the last two years. You only get a short head start by planting out early and those planted later that grow in warmer conditions generally catch up.
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I'm not Italian and I haven't planted yet either. They're on my list of Easter jobs, along with more lettuce, parsnips (better late than never) carrots, beetroot, perpetual spinage, leeks, squash, brassica and all the rest

Comment

I've sown my "Lazy Housewife" today in modules. My little garden is very sheltered but it will be mid May when I plant them out.

Comment

I've planted some out in the polytunnel but not even sown my main crop ones for outside.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I sowed both french climbing and runner beans in toilet roll tubes 2 weeks ago in the greenhouse. Most have take and and are showing about an inch above the rolls. I will harden off from early may plant out just before i go on my jollies at the end of may.
                Roger
                Its Grand to be Daft...

https://www.youtube.com/user/beauchief1?feature=mhee

Comment

I've just sown my French beans but they wont be going out till mid May.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I planted out early last year, just to see, and the beans first turned yellow, then they didn't grow any more, then they died

They're doing well in the gh though, most are up and thriving (min temp 10c)
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

If you are in Birmingham, probably not yet.

Could you put that in your profile - it's easier to see!
                      Last edited by zazen999; 20-04-2011, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by adamhartree View Post
                        hi all,
                        im in birmingham and we havent had a frost for over 3 weeks now
                        Your official last frost date is early May
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I have dwarf french beans just poking their heads up outside, i'm quite confident...or should that be hopefull that there will be no more frosts here (north essex coast).

Saying that I havn't started any of my runner beans yet, they are going in huge tubs on the patio (dwarf type).
                          <*}}}>< Jonathan ><{{{*>

Comment

thanks all for your suggestions, i think i wont temp fait and wait a few more weeks first. will just have to sit on my hands for some longer, im a eager biever lol

Comment

I've learnt to always sow two batches of beans. My first batch of runners went into the ground 2 days ago and my french beans are going in this weekend. It's worth a gamble against a damaging frost, but if unlucky then there's always the reserves to use.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X