No announcement yet.

french beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think I'll be sowing the ones I have room for this week (the ones I have plenty of seed for), and will put them out second week in May. Will sow the ones I don't have spares for (reserving a few) in that week, then put them out two weeks after that. Figure that way I am safe with the ones I can't replace and might get a nice surprise on the staple crop. Two beds down though this year as am not risking planting in the ones the cat pooed in, so can't take as many risks as I might otherwise! My beans did Not like the weather last year.

Comment

I tried to get mine going early, planted 'Stanley' Dwarf French beans and 2 types of edamame beans (Envy and Elena) a month ago. I put the rootrainers into the heated propagator and every bean rotted :-( I didn't water them at all except for tipping back in the condensation, so not sure what went wrong. Started again last week and am the proud parent of a row of 'little Stanleys' and I think I can spy possible movement in one or two pockets of edamame, yay!

From there they will go into the greenhouse, and after all that trauma, they aren't going in the ground until June at the earliest!! Have bought two small blowaways for the edamame and will keep them in pots in there all summer. They claim to be suitable for the UK climate but I'm not holding my breath, I'm not sure it will ever be warm enough here to get a crop!!

Comment

I sowed some French beans about 2-3 weeks ago and they're in the poly GH. Quite a poor show. Same for my runners only about 25% success. Will sow some more this coming (2nd 4 day bank holiday - woo boo) bank holiday weekend. Not sure what happened with the first lot but then, for the French beans, it's the first time I've tried them. Weather is not so bad at the moment. Very dry, but that shouldn't make a difference being in the poly GH!
        Follow my adventures on Twitter: @backyardveggie

My children will grow up knowing the Good Life... one day Tom and Barbara, one day!

Comment

Mantha, French and runners are tender, and need a constant (day & night) temp of at least 10c, preferably higher.

If germination is a problem, try chitting them on kitchen paper first. You can then pot up the quickest ones and chuck the ones that do nothing
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by pinns View Post
            edamame ...claim to be suitable for the UK climate but I'm not holding my breath,
            I've grown Ustie before, but the crop was so small it wasn't worth the bother. Have a go at brown chick peas though (from an ethnic supermarket) they're brilliant

Frenchies don't need a heated prop, they will germinate at room temp once there's enough light. I sowed some on my south-facing windowsill about 6 wks ago and now they're 12" high with flowers on

Comment

I wouldn't put French beans in a propagator either. I might sow mine next weekend!
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Well my peas and beans have gone mad.

I put my seeds in 16 days ago and just left them to germinate in my walk in bloaway expecting them to be ready to be ready to put in their bed after my last frost, mid may.

Now I don't know if it is because of the weather we have been having but they've gone mad.

Do you guys think they will be fine in their pots for another 2/3 weeks or should I risk them out?

Comment

well people, i am sorry to say that after all your kind advice, i am guilty, i have been the plot and quite a few people have put theres in the ground already, so i put mine in. i know its a bit of a gamble but oh well, i covered them with fleece just incase anyway so they should be ok. people on the plot have also started to put out sweetcorn aswell, whats your thoughts of this?. they are also saying that the pumpkins can go in, in about a weeks time. things seem to be really early this year. thanks again all

Comment

The spring has been warm & dry ... it doesn't mean we won't get a frost yet though

I have French beans up on the lotty, but I also have back-ups in the gh

Comment

Nope, not a chance! I'm not losing my precious beans to Jack Frost.

I'm still building frames and they will go out mid May. Just have to cope with a full greenhouse for now.

Comment

Ok so the general feeling is not to risk it. But at the size that mine are will they be alright in their pots for another 2/3 weeks?

Comment

They grow tall, fast. It's best not to sow more than about a fortnight before your last frost date.

To retard them, keep them a bit cooler (shade them, if necessary) but don't let them get cold (keep at least 10c)

Comment

I haven't even sown mine yet. I'm going to start them off inside next week in my usual loo rolls for planting out late May. I'm not trusting this warm weather to last. Oh no.

Comment

You can put the peas in - mine have been in for ages. Hold fire with beans though if you live in the north.
                              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Frenchies don't need a heated prop
                                Good to know, I certainly have plenty little French beans now. Still no edamame though, I hope this batch haven't all rotted too. I shall try the kitchen paper idea, at least I can watch them go soggy and don't have to guess they have rotted... Not many bean seeds left now though.

brown chick peas
                                Eeeww, don't like the sound of them! Don't like regular chick peas, it's mainly the texture. I wanted to grow edamame because I stuff my face with them at wagamama's and yo sushi, I love the squeezy-poppy thing you do to eat them!!

third time lucky perhaps!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X