This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spamvindaloo View Post
    Nah, it's fine. It's just the exact same as a print copy of the magazine but 'enhanced' so you can open extra features like galleries or videos etc. Everything in the print copy is there for you to read but there's additional content which you can ignore if you wish. I realise that not everybody likes to read on an iPad or tablet and would prefer a magazine but to my mind it makes a lot more sense - it's cheaper, you can carry all of your magazines around with you, you don't have to store a stack of magazines that you might never read again (I think VC has them all ), you get it as soon as it is released. Okay, you don't get free seeds but I'd prefer to save money and buy the seeds that I actually want.
    I don't mind READING things online so that's fine but what I don't want to do is WATCH my magazine. So long as they leave it as extras as you describe that works but all too often nowadays it seems to be video at the expense of the written word and that for me is a very negative step. That said although I read a lot of books on my e-reader I think they work a lot better for fiction which you naturally read in order. Reference books don't work as well as its harder to flick around, turn down corners, scrawl on with a biro etc. Also I think I spend too long looking at blue light as it is (my e-reader is old school so not back lit) so am trying to reduce usage to protect my eyes and improve my sleep patterns .

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
      Reference books don't work as well as its harder to flick around, turn down corners, scrawl on with a biro etc.
      The Ipad pro has already sorted out some of these things that people like with the 'hard copy' media (although at nearly £900 it may not replace it... yet).

Spam is correct - the digital media is changing/evolving so fast, that people are demanding more value-added content to keep them interested.

I'm sure the top bods at GYO are embracing the change - it's quite interesting to see what the future be holds.

I'm really looking forward to it.
      .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnC..._as=subscriber

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM67 View Post
        Spam is correct - the digital media is changing/evolving so fast, that people are demanding more value-added content to keep them interested.
        Some people may well be demanding more content but there are also plenty examples of areas where somebody has decided that they know best based on what they and some other similar type people want. In doing so they can alienate a previously loyal audience by making it unsuitable for them. Widening the way you can do things is brilliant and different people respond to different methods of communication but removing existing facilities is not improvement if it reduces that choice (as the example I gave earlier about the increase in video clips at the expense of written reports in news pages). As far as I can see that isn't happening here and I dearly hope it doesn't which is why it's important to make this point.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Alison - I agree with you... to an extent.

I'm at the plot at the moment, with less than an hour of proper light left - so will respond more fully when I get home.

Saying that, with the thread going in a 'more interesting' way than I first thought - would it be a good discussion to have in General Chitchat ?
          .......because you're thinking of putting the kettle on and making a pot of tea perhaps, you old weirdo. (Veggie Chicken - 25/01/18)

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM67 View Post
            I was going to subscribe - but waiting until we move to Ireland after the Summer.

Saying that, I wonder if they deliver to Ireland ?
            Yes Kevin, your mag will be delivered to Ireland.

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Hi,
              Yes we do deliver to Ireland the subscription for this is £76 for the year.
              All the best, Jenny

Comment

Hi,

We are stocked in 350 Morrison stores around the country which is roughly 90% of the stores. The current issue has a promotion in ALL stores.

Thanks, Jenny

Comment

I have just resubscribed, but after missing so many issues and having so many problems getting it over to Spain, i have now got it sent to my mums, who's will bring me them out, i will get serval to read at once
                  It works out a lot cheaper and you get a nice gift, i waited an extra 2 months to get something i wanted a nice heated propagator.
                  I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

The digital age is with us,nothing wrong with "enhanced content" after all 10 years ago things like this forum were cutting edge.
                    All of us ( of a certain age ) will remember times before the internet, when you couldn't even consider ordering the seeds you wanted without a lengthy trawl through loads of catalogues and a long wait to order by mail, or for that matter getting good advice from a great friendly group of people who (mostly) know what they are talking about and have been in exactly the same position as you
                    don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                    remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

I forgot I had started this thread - however, since posting it I've had no problems getting the GYO magazine from our local mori $$ons.

Thanks Jenny for the subscription advice - I'll keep with the hard copy for now and subscribe to the digital version in September once I've moved.

Snackshack - you're right, things change/evolve and looking back you sometimes wonder how life got on without the Internet (it got on fine - but we all know that).

Anyway, there's no changing it, we've got to adapt or be left behind
                      It's quite exciting with the range of possibilities nowadays.
                      Last edited by KevinM67; 19-06-2016, 08:17 PM. Reason: Numpty reasons.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X