T + M Vouchers. Slight moan...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T + M Vouchers. Slight moan...

Was really pleased and grateful to recieve my £10 T+M voucher from Grow your Own for a published comment. (Thank you to the magazine, this moan is not about you).

I went to spend my voucher on some garlic bulbs but with £4.95 P+P it was nine quid for 1 (yes, ONE) bulb. Decided to get some tomato seeds too. Turns out P+P for seeds is £2.95. This is ADDITIONAL to P+P for bulkier items like garlic or potatoes.

Turns out
    1 Bulb Solent Wight and 1 Packet of 10 Sungold tomato seeds (both popular and widely available varieties) would cost me £13.88

A liittle looking around has revealed that these P+P cost are much inflated over several other companies

Marshalls
    2 bulbs solent wight (can't buy 1) 15 sungold - Total £13.15

Suttons
    2 bulbs solent wight (can't buy 1) 10 sungold - Total £8.93

Other companies varied in variety and availability but none were as expensive with P+P (T+M often seemed to have less seeds in packets too though that is only a general observation)

Would it be possible for Grow Your Own Magazine to look elsewhere for vouchers. I am sure that other companies would be willing to provide them on a similar basis to T+M. I know I was given the voucher but that does not mean I want to waste it on overpriced P+P.

Thanks for your time.

Kestrel
    Where there's muck, there's brassicas

You also cannot buy the p and p using your voucher as it will not let you. So if you buy something at a £5 and then your postage goes on top, you still have to pay the £4.95 on your card. It's bizarre and doesn't encourage you to spend on other stuff with them.
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Its also the reason why we post on here whenever we spot a free P&P offer at T&M - so that we can cash in our vouchers without any hefty add-ons.

Comment

Thanks VVG and VC. Hadn't even got as far as the checkout to discover it wouldn't even cover the extortionate P+P. (First voucher!) Will definitely wait for a free P+P offer but would still be interested to know why the magazine perseveres with them. As the largest (?) seed company you would think their margins would be lower and VVG is correct, will always look elsewhere when not using a voucher (surely the opposite of the intended outcome) My fave is simplyseed.co.uk (I have no connection to them - just love the prices and superb resealable seed packets)

Incidently - don't know why i didn't put this in first post
        simplyseed.co.uk
        1 bulb solent wight 10 sungold - Total £6.65 (this is less than the P+P for T+M)
        Last edited by Kestrel; 30-09-2012, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Most of the gardening magazines are linked into one or other of the major seed retailers and that retailer is usually the one that supplies the "free" plants too. I'll say no more

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            Its also the reason why we post on here whenever we spot a free P&P offer at T&M - so that we can cash in our vouchers without any hefty add-ons.
            Never seen one yet...is it like a yeti? There but spotted by the few?
            Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I only ever use T@M when I have a voucher and then purely for seeds as I refuse to pay a fiver for p@p.
              http://petersgarden101.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
                Never seen one yet...is it like a yeti? There but spotted by the few?
                Here's one I prepared earlier, VVG http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...t-m_67621.html

Comment

Dobies
                  2 bulbs solent wight (can't buy 1) 10 sungold - Total £8.89

... getting obsessed now...

Comment

Originally posted by Kestrel View Post
                    I went to spend my voucher on some garlic bulbs but with £4.95 P+P it was nine quid for 1 (yes, ONE) bulb. Decided to get some tomato seeds too. Turns out P+P for seeds is £2.95. This is ADDITIONAL to P+P for bulkier items like garlic or potatoes.
                    According to the T&M website P&P for seeds is £1.95. BUT what I understand to be P&P and what they mean by it are somewhat different
                    "Unless otherwise stated all selling prices include reasonable postage and packing charges. We make a nominal charge for processing and picking orders (defined as P&P). All such P&P charges are added automatically to your shopping basket.

- Orders for packets of seed incur a P&P charge of £1.95
                    - Orders which include any other products will incur a P&P charge of £4.95
                    - So, where an order includes both packets of seeds and other products a maximum P&P charge of £6.90* will apply, regardless of the number of items ordered."

So Postage and Packing is free but you have to pay for "Processing and Picking". That's alright then

Comment

Re P&P, both Suttons and Fothergills use the term to mean delivery charge. I think T&M may have their own dictionary...........

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        According to the T&M website P&P for seeds is £1.95
                        Thanks VC, absolutely, and I apologise for misrepresenting them.

Just noticed, that the garlic is asterisk'ed with a provisional footnote of " * This item may have a delivery surcharge." - whatever that may be, presumably in addition to the present £4.95 "P+P" presently being charged for One, I repeat ONE, bulb of garlic

Comment

I suppose they need to charge the picking and processing to pay their staff. strange that other companies appear to absorb this in their running costs. T&M often appear more expensive than other suppliers, probably because they add the postage and packing to the price that other suppliers charge for.
                          I don't buy from them unless free P&P and I've got a voucher, then only seeds because I've had a few bad experiences with their plants. If I want seeds from a variety of companies I use these Buy seeds online | Cheap seeds | Seeds for sale because you only pay one P&P charge. They don't stock everything, but worth checking out.
                          I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
                          Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

How about.... D.T. Brown ......

15 Sungold seeds for £2.99
                            P&P & handling & insurance for seeds £0.00
                            2 Solent Wight for £3.95
                            P&P & handling & insurance for bulbs £3.95

As far as I can see on my order form the charge for bulbs/plants is applied only once regardless of number ordered.
                            He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Now thats a bit strange,I just did it online & P&P etc is £1 dearer & the garlic is 30p dearer than printed 2012 catalogue

Code Description Of Product Qty Price Discount Total
                              43007 Garlic, Solent Wight x £4.25 £0.00 £4.25
                              15203 Tomato, Sungold F1 AGM Seeds x £2.99 £0.00 £2.99
                              Clear Basket If needed amend your promotional code here:

Subtotal
                              £7.24

Postage
                              £4.95
                              Order Total £12.19
                              Last edited by bearded bloke; 30-09-2012, 04:09 PM.
                              He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X