Potato dibber

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potato dibber

Hi this is my first attempt .I recently came across a home made potato dibber ,it was from a long piece of wood the bottom pointed and about 8" from the bottom a piece of dowling or similar was put in and then at a comfortable hight another piece inserted as a handle,no bending brilliant ,but where did I see it have looked through various magazines I have but can't find it. Please can somone put me out of my misery and tell me I didn't omagine it and where can I find instructions again .Thanks

I just use a trowel to plant my spuds.

With your homemade wotsit, you say no bending, but how do you get the spud in the ground? Still gotta bend to do that.
    Or am I missing a trick here?
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Was it an old spade handle, sharpened to a point with a piece of dowelling at the 'spud depth'?

Comment

Bloke with a bad back who has an allotment close to mine has a long handled dibber made from a broken spade shaft and he literally throws the seed spuds into the dibbled hole!
        No good for sprouted earlies though!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

This is antique tater bodger that i use for spud's and brassica's that are grown in pots .
          It was used by my FIL in the 1930's before they had tater planters imagine useing one of them for a day or two....jacob
          Last edited by jacob marley; 21-05-2009, 04:51 PM.
          What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
          Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

By gum that makes your eyes water!
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by wollyanna View Post
              Please can somone put me out of my misery and tell me I didn't omagine it and where can I find instructions again .Thanks
              You didn't imagine it, I can't remember which magazine it was in either...
              Basically, an old broom handle, with a hole drilled through about 3 inches from the bottom to fit a half inch/3/4 inch dowel or metal rod, push the dowel through and trim/round off/sand edges, nail another piece of wood across the top of the broom handle to hold on to.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob marley View Post
                This is antique tater bodger that i use for spud's and brassica's that are grown in pots .
                It was used by my FIL in the 1930's before they had tater planters imagine useing one of them for a day or two....jacob
                Looks like a clothes posser (used in a poss tub) with the end worn down!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                  Looks like a clothes posser (used in a poss tub) with the end worn down!
                  If you study photo there is a cast iron point at the bottom of the shaft (heavy) that keeps the Bodger close to the ground and from wearing .
                  The way it is used is to push it into the ground and twist it a quarter of a turn this smears the side of the hole and stops it falling in before you get the spud or cabbage plant there....jacob
                  What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
                  Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Thanks for these jottings. Thank you Taff forsaying you saw it too .I must still have a few marbles. I've since been told by a friend that he uses a bulb planter from the range which sounds good but I'm still bugged at finding out where I saw the article .

Comment

Gardeners world magazine showed how to make one of these! Didn't use a broom handle though - used a garden stake. Will look it up for you!

Comment

Thank you for that Emilymup,I can breathe easy I thought it might have been that mag but my OH puot out witht the papers before I could check.Thank you for looking ir up.

Comment

The old boys on my allotment site use one of these..

>>>Click<<<

Geo..

Comment

My potato planter is called a spade. I push it into the ground, rock it back and forth to make a 'V', drop the spud in and pull the spade out. Alternately, a rake used edge on drawn through the soil to make a trench then drop the spuds in at the required distance. Use the rake again to cover the trench. No bending necessary for either method. If the chits drop off, chances are they will simply form another plant and grow on. That's my theory anyhoo!
                            I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X