Ants

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ants

I recenty prepared a raised bed ready for runner beans to go in and have noticed there seem to be ants all over the place. I think they probably transfered their nest from the compost bin. I noticed they had started to make home in there when I was getting out the compost to use.

I'm not too bothered about ants directly, more what assistance they might provide to aphids once I plant my beans out. Should I get ride of them now? And any advice on best method?

Nasturtiums are good to grow nearby runner beans,mine are grown about a meter or two away from the beans,ants & aphids prefer the nasturtium & leave the beans alone.

Comment

The main problem with ants in my experience is when they make a nest under one of your plants - this dries out the roots of what you are growing, and either kills to the plant or at any rate makes it more or less worthless. I tolerate them usually, but if they get in somewhere I really don't want them then I get rid of the nest. A kettle full of boiling water tipped in to the center of their home is enough to do the trick usually (obviously any plant you want to keep needs to be moved at least temporarily first).

Comment

Ant's like dry, undisturbed soil so if you keep watering the bed and twidling with it when you have the chance then they'll debunk elsewhere. They do leave a nice fine tilth.

As nick said it's when they nest in the roots of plants that the main problems can happen - I've had this problem with potted plants more than ones in the ground.

I usually get them in my compost bins if I don't keep them wet enough - nice fine compost though even if it is full of ants (good soaking when it's about to be used sends them scurrying off with their eggs and larvae in their mandibles - then I walk off and let the bird have the floor)

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
        ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X