pear tree branches are black

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pear tree branches are black

My five year old dwarf conference pear tree hasn’t a single bud or leaf and the branches look like it has been in a fire, I have peeled some bark and the main trunk is it is still green underneath but where the branches are black they are brown and have died off, is it possible to prune the dead branches off or is this tree slowly dying it would mean pruning every branch and the top 2 feet off the tree. Is this a desease that will effect my other pear trees, I had thought it might have been the cold winter we have had but all my fruit trees are flowering better than they usually do except for this poor tree. Thank you in advance for any advice

Don't like the sound of that at all - not sure what's caused it, but I don't think you're going to get a Lazarus act from it at this time of the year.

If it was mime I'd saw the whole top off down to grown level and either burn it or bin it.

It's possible the root-stock will send up new growth, in which case you may well be able to graft a scion on to it at some stage in the future, so the whole thing doesn't become a complete write-off.

Comment

Could it be fireblight? https://www.rhs.org.uk/Advice/profile?PID=160

Just because one tree has a disease doesn't mean others will get it as different varieties have different levels of resistance. Just cut out and destroy then keep an eye out.

Welcome to the vine shame your first post isn't on a more positive note. Fingers crossed for you.
      Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 23-04-2018, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X