Big Fat Black Slugs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Fat Black Slugs

Is it the weather? So much rain? I have NEVER had so many black slugs. So much for nemetodes working!!

14 on one runner bean stem !!!! 5 on one sweetcorn cob!!!

Went around the garden picking them off and dropping them into hot salty water (Cruel but necessary), how many do you reckon....20...30..? Lost count over the hundred mark..

Must do this every night now!

DEATH TO SLUGS!!!!!!

mmmm, Arion Ater, big burger.
    "While relatively dormant during the day, slugs rely on the coolness of the night to search for food. Soil surfaces must be moist for slugs to safely move around. [Try] watering plants early in the morning so that the ground is not so moist at night, when slugs are active. This is particularly useful when combatting Arion ater--considered the most destructive species of slugs (Long 1999)."
    good pix here:
    http://www-biol.paisley.ac.uk/bioref...rion_ater.html
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I'm confused by slugs, arne't the big black ones the least dangerous to plants? I thought it was the little grey jobs that were the worst?
      I've got books on slugs, but I need pictures, where can I find illustrations of all the different types?

Sue

Comment

I always thought the big ones were the least harmful, but who knows? Sue, have a look on Google Images for "slugs" as a kicking off point.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Just read that apparently (according to yahoo news section), due to the wet summer there is a 50% rise in slugs this year.

I thought there were too many.., I feel less guilty about not being on top of things now!

Comment

Worryingly, not only is apparently a bumper year for slugs, the little (well quite big in some cases!) blighters will be breading like nothing on earth so next year could be worse..............

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Hmmm.......regular rotavating can help destroy the eggs etc, apparently. Just wish I had one!

I think I will definitely be putting nemotodes down in June...they must help surely!

Comment

Hi Cottage garden, I'm suffering with lots of slugs & snails as well (in the garden-not me personally!) & in the Times the other day there was an article saying there are 15 billion slugs in the country (don't think they've counted them all individually) & someone counted up to 1000 in a square metre.Nematodes will only have an effect on the smaller slugs which live mainly in the ground, they don't seem to work on the big guys or snails. Everyone says the giant slugs do the least damage as they eat rotting vegetation but I'm not convinced myself.
                Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X