Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slugs in the Lounge - Euwww

Hello & hope yall are well & enjoying autumn -

Just found slug trails in my lounge!!! Good old country living, eh? *Sigh*.

This is a first and I'm not sure what to do to get rid of indoor pests - I have a phobia - really shouldn't be gardening.

I suppose I'll come in one morning to find a load of them sat sipping tea and eating my biscuits.... 'How do you do? We're gastropod molluscs, don't you know?'

I can cope with huge spiders but struggle with these.

Thank you in advance for your wisdom I have read the slugs sticky but I don't think chickens, pellets or copper tape will help in this instance.

Best wishes, Axx
    sigpic

From Planet of the Apes to Animal Farm: a record of our first year in a microscopic country village with more cows and stars than people -

We get them in the bedroom,MR used to find em under his feet hehehe,now we look at bedtime and evict any that dare,tissue coffin and flush um to the works
    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Do you have pets?
      Sometimes one comes into our house stuck to our cat's fur ....and then has a wander around until we spot it.
      Could that be the case?

Alternatively, sometimes the outlets in the bathroom/kitchen haven't been sealed fully and they can get in through there.

In our first house we had one which lived behind the fridge...bit yuk really!
      Not for long though...
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I woke up one night feeling that there was something on my face. Put my hand up, in the dark, and felt something slimy
        You've guessed - a little slug that must have come in on my hair somehow!
        Took a while to go back to sleep

Comment

Had a thought - are you sure its slugs? Silvery trails often mean snails which are easier to deal with than slugs as they're ready packed!
          Don't let on but I sometimes find snail trails up the velvet curtains. They make a little road map and you can follow it to find them. Hours of fun - like snakes and ladders but its snails and curtains.

Comment

Try putting a little plate of beer out for it,it's probably come in on your clothes. I had a cabbage white caterpillar on my sleeve the other day & I trod on a slug on the carpet,don't know how it got there,might have been on my shoe,insects like using us for a lift!
            Last edited by Jungle Jane; 09-10-2017, 08:15 AM. Reason: Added the word caterpillar

Comment

We get them in our kitchen tried organic pellets and beer trap found that coming down stairs at 3am is the best way to catch slugs.
              Just remember to put the light on before walking into the room its a horrid feeling to tread on one with your bare feet
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I've had them in the Kitchen time to time. Came to the conclusion that the underside of the door has not been sealed correctly. I can't get assess with the sealant gun unless I lift the paving. Perhaps a cunning bend on a nozzle might work. Heat it up with a heat gun or very strong hair dryer and squirt it up under the plastic door plate.

Found a couple of windows on the ground floor were not right, so sealed them up.

The worst feeling is walking through the house at night in your bare feet. Squish...

Comment

Can you use a spoon to smooth some sealant in rather than using the gun? Spoons are a good shape for the job

Comment

A snail has started coming in under the door each night - I think I'll have to leave it a nice 'blue' dinner. That may dissuade it

Comment

I caught our kitchen slug 3 days ago finger crossed his friend doesn't come looking for him.
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Thank you everyone!

Apologies for asking a question then not coming back, sometimes my health is such that I don't get back on the computer for a couple days.....

Defo slugs, found a little green barsteward the other night. There's a bit of space between wainscoting and wooden (real one, not fake wood-look linoleum) floor, now salt all round the wainscoting until we can find a more permanent solution.

It's like living with vampires!

Thanks again for advice, going to try a few ideas, you guys are stars.

sigpic

From Planet of the Apes to Animal Farm: a record of our first year in a microscopic country village with more cows and stars than people -

Comment

There are some slugs that like living indoors - like the Green Cellar Slug. They graze on algae and whatever else they can find... we had one crawling up through the vent into the cellar and grazing on our fireside rug. Which made us feel slightly eww about what must be on the rug... They often have very thin trails but are surprisingly bigger than you think. We haven't been visited for a while, but we have got a new floor and no rug in that room, so maybe they gave up. I pelleted (the ferric phosphate ones) outside in the front garden to reduce the population, as I thought they might be coming in from there.

I find the best way to catch them is to get up in the small hours and go round with a torch.

Sorry not more help! I don't mind them too much, as long as I don't tread in them... We have an old house, and I'm very much aware that we are heavily outnumbered by all the other long-term residents of the property, whose families have probably dwelt here much longer than we have!

Comment

Aunty Social "I suppose I'll come in one morning to find a load of them sat sipping tea and eating my biscuits.... 'How do you do? We're gastropod molluscs, don't you know?' "
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	images (5).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	2375401
                            I've just sat and sputtered all me cuppa tea everywhere laughing at the thought of this sooo funny.. thanks for the giggle Aunty Social
                            “It was the bumble bee and the butterfly who survived, not the dinosaur” — Meridel Le Sueursigpic

"We are stardust, we are golden, and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden."
                            - Joni Mitchell

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...owerpower.html

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X