Mice in the garage

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mice in the garage

Hi guys, We are having a mouse issue in our garage which is at the bottom of the garden.

It is a double garage which is basically used as a shed and opens up onto a large area of unused , overgrown land. We have 2 rabbits which we kept in there and I think this is where the problem started, we were finding them in the rabbits straw, they were eating the food and gouing to the toilet everywhere!! :-(

We have since put the rabbits back int he garden as it was only a temporary situation but the mice remain.

I have tried humane traps but have only caught 2 in a month.

I am not really keen to use poison because the rabbits may eat it accidentally, I'm also not that keen on killing the mice but I know this is the way we may have to go :-/

Are there any pied pipers out there? -) (I know he did rats)

Does anyone have any ideas I may not have though of?

Thanks guys.

First question are they actually causing any damage? I get them in the house loft every winter, they leave in the spring. As they can chew cables and cause damage and even fires in some cases, a little nipper trap loaded with a bit of bread usually sorts them out. If they were not in the house doing any damage, I might just leave them.

Comment

Have to say we go down the little nipper route as when the population gets to big they come in the house. Also have a bigger version for rats (it could take your finger off)
      Another happy Nutter...

Comment

There are mice in my garage too! I make sure that there is nothing that they can eat and leave them alone.
        Are you sitting comfortably?
        I used to have an old Triumph Spitfire that wasn't used much in the winter. One nice sunny winter's day I decided to take the car for a run. To my surprise, there were peanuts in the footwell! I had no idea why but I cleared them out and went for a lovely ride down to the seaside.
        When I came back, I decided to give the car a bit of a clean as a treat! There was a cushion on the passenger seat which I removed. Looking up at me, from the inside of the upholstery, surrounded by stuffing and peanuts, was a family of mice I'm not sure who was more surprised!
        They had eaten a hole in a sack of birdfood, crawled up into the car somehow (maybe through the soft top, secreted a load of nuts in the boot and eaten a hole in the seat for their home.
        It was so ridiculous, I had to laugh - even though I had to buy a new passenger seat. Good job I didn't have a passenger sitting on that cushion!
        So be warned, they'll be looking for a nice winter home now!

Comment

I had some in my landy last year - must have climbed up the wheels as always parked in drive with nothing next to it to help them up!
          Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Either get/borrow a cat and let it live in the garage.
            Little nippers baited with chocolate / peanut butter, they should have a choice as it could be their last meal.
            In the meantime hope that their bigger brevthren don't turn up. (I prefer ratty to micky as they are a lot cleaner, even though they are a lot harder to catch)
            If you are setting traps, do not be surprised if some go off whilst you are setting them --- my record is just over 40 seconds.
            As a footnote:- it gets easier after the 1st one.
            You will probably be surprised how many there are.
            Feed the soil, not the plants.
            (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
            Bob

Comment

I had a nest in the Backseat of a Sierra Saphire once, must have been there for months, didn't know 'till I cleaned it out to remove the weeds growing in the carpet.
              I was driving it every day.
              Feed the soil, not the plants.
              (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
              Bob

Comment

You have to remove or isolate the things they are going in the garage for. So either move the rabbit food and spare straw or get a big sealed plastic container and seal it in there up on a shelf. they can knaw through plastic but hopefully you will have got rid of them by then.
                This time of year the mice are looking to secure a nice winter home. if you remove thier food source then try poison/baiting traps you will have more success. I had a family of mice in my garage a few years ago, the garage was stuffed with stored items. When I eventually got in to sort it the following spring they had chewed all the carrier bags of silver foil to lick the dried milk/cheese off the bottle tops! Tiny bits of foil everywhere.

Comment

Had some in the attic of our old house - turned out they were eating sachets of instant coffee my OH left there for camping trips.

The thought of mice running around hyperactive on caffeine was quite funny..
                  Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X