Brambles!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brambles!

What are your best methods for getting rid of Brambles. There is ALOT of them.
    Thanks in advance

Whatever method you choose, stout boots, thick jeans and a tough pair of gloves are very helpful!

I found the easiest way was to use a pair of secateurs (branch loppers for the biggest), and cut them into foot long lengths.
    Then a system of 3 big flexitrugs to pass them to husband with wheelbarrow, so that I had enough space in trugs to fill whilst he took the barrow to the communal greenwaste area.
    Has fires been allowed on our site we probably would have made a bonfire on a clear area of our plot (well away from brambles so sparks didn't set light to the bramble thicket with me inside....)

Comment

I prefer to harvest them, my favourite fruit. Good job we're all different

Comment

Cut them down to about a foot. Some of the tip rooted suckers will pull out quite easily (very satisfying).
        With a fork (garden, not table) lever the roots out. I'm clearing a bramble patch at the moment and enjoying it. So fulfilling when you see clear ground that was, once, impenetrable.
        As Chestnut says, make sure you're suitable dressed.
        Last edited by veggiechicken; 27-08-2017, 04:42 PM. Reason: that, not tat!

Comment

I love blackberries too, I don't doubt I will always have some but I'd like some garden back.
          Love the clarification re:fork (garden, not table) hahaha

Comment

DJ, I have to be specific on here, 'cos there's always a smartypants waiting to make fun of me.

Comment

We'd never do that to you VC

I've been known to wear welding gauntlets while tackling brambles...
              Another happy Nutter...

Comment

I,let my OH do it!

Your quite good being the smartypants yourself sometimes VC!
                sigpic

Comment

Two pairs of gloves, rigger boots and an ancient bright yellow hi-vis jacket is the outfit of choice here.
                  The jacket is good because I'll be easily spotted when lost in the bramble patch.

Comment

If you have a lot of hedges/brambles it's definitely worth investing in decent gloves. As above welding gloves tend to be fairly tough, and generally not too expensive.
                    I did once get chatting to a professional hedgelayer, who swore by his special leather gloves with Kevlar lining - I thought £25 for a pair of gloves was more than I could justify for a few brambles at the corner of our plot, but might be worth a look on internet if you have lots to do and a birthday coming up ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by DancingJax View Post
                      What are your best methods for getting rid of Brambles. There is ALOT of them.
                      Thanks in advance
                      If the ground is flattish and you are in no particular hurry, a reasonably powerful rotary mower, say 2.5 HP or bigger. will do the trick. You can start anytime, though obviously you may have to lop off and rake out some growth before you get the mower on it. Will take about 9 months mowing say every fortnight to mostly clear an area - if you are in more of a hurry and can get access to a rotovator, then run that through, after the mower has been over the ground once.

also depends on how much ground you have of course - anything over 1/2 an acre is a bit of a pain to clear with hand tools.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X