Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black and orange pest?

Anyone got any ideas?

They appear to be isolated to just our cineraria. Although I have just noticed the hollyhock leaf dangling over one has been nibbled too

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0434-1024x768.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	2405330
    I fought the lawn.....and the lawn won!

Ah found it.

Cinnabar moth

Comment

Rare to see these days as their preferred food, Ragwort is destroyed by owners of horses as it upsets their tummies.

Comment

Probably https://www.norfolkwildlifetrust.org.../cinnabar-moth

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnabar_moth Click image for larger version

Name:	Cinnabar_moth_(Tyria_jacobaeae).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	2374593

Agree ,with Burnie sadly so rare to see now Fiveaday- Just a thought if you don't want them on your plants perhaps you could find some ragwort to place them on, maybe a local nature reserve or wood?
          Obviously,if you do move them dont handle them without gloves on as they are toxic and are know to cause a rash!

BTW Love your signature
          Last edited by BeeHappyFlutterBy; 23-08-2017, 08:58 AM.
          “It was the bumble bee and the butterfly who survived, not the dinosaur” — Meridel Le Sueursigpic

"We are stardust, we are golden, and we've got to get ourselves back to the garden."
          - Joni Mitchell

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...owerpower.html

Comment

They seem quite happy to eat groundsel, maybe you can spot a patch of that in waste ground and move them.
            My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
            Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

If they are rare and they were in my garden I would just leave them personally.
              sigpic

Comment

Stunning moths aren't they?

I've seen a couple in my garden over the years, but not many.
                I was utterly stunned by their beauty the first time I spotted one!
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Funnily enough! on my way out of the door at 4.30 this morning, I have two little "Ragwort" seedlings growing in the crack of my front step and clocked two this morning! I'll get up a little earlier tomorrow in the chance I'll get a pic!
                  "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

I have found loads of these little things down my allotment and I mean loads. I have just left them alone as I'd never seen them before but googled them and found out what they were. Don't have ragwort at my plot and I found them on various weeds and plants.
                    sigpic

Comment

Same here, didn't realise they're rare, lots of them on the lotties.
                      Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by BeeHappyFlutterBy View Post
                        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnabar_moth [ATTACH=CONFIG]75886[/ATTACH]

Obviously,if you do move them dont handle them without gloves on as they are toxic and are know to cause a rash!

BTW Love your signature
                        Oops, before everyone said about them being rare a few of them got "handled", no rash yet!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X