Ants

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ants

Does anyone have any ideas, hints or tips on how to get rid of ants? My back garden is almost one big ants nest.

Zebedee
    "Raised to a state of heavenly lunacy where I just can't be touched!"

Watering with dilute oil of cloves is supposed to help get rid of them.

My garden is similar to yours by the sound of things. I find that by not standing containers on the grass I don't have too many incidents where the ants become a problem. I just treat with ant powder whenever I find an exposed nest. Another way is to pour boiling water on the exposed nest and leave it for the birds to sort out (so long as there are no cats about).
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
      Watering with dilute oil of cloves is supposed to help get rid of them.

My garden is similar to yours by the sound of things. I find that by not standing containers on the grass I don't have too many incidents where the ants become a problem. I just treat with ant powder whenever I find an exposed nest. Another way is to pour boiling water on the exposed nest and leave it for the birds to sort out (so long as there are no cats about).
      Thanx for that, Shirl! Have felt like dousing the whole ****** lot in petrol, then lighting it, but I couldn't hide under the guise of trying to start my barbie.

Zebedee
      "Raised to a state of heavenly lunacy where I just can't be touched!"

Comment

I dig up and put any ant's nests I find into a large pot and put it in my aviary.Zebra Finches,Diamond Doves and Japanese Quail all make short work of them,ants and eggs.
        If you don't keep birds,maybe someone close at hand does.

Comment

Don't use boiling water on the lawn, it doesn't do the grass any good. Boiling water is OK on paths, patios etc. The wild birds deal with them well when they come to the surface (getting ready to swarm). Ant powder or spray stops them coming into the house, but obviously you don't use them till you realise you have a problem. I had ants (and flying ones) in my upstairs bathroom last week. Hoovered up the ones I could see, lifted the carpet and applied ant powder round the edge of the bath - no problems since, but I've no idea how they got there in the first place. The sugary bait stuff (Nippon, I think) has never worked for me. They're supposed to come and eat it, take it back to the next and it should destroy all the eggs etc. I just find they treat it as a free takeaway.

Comment

I get ants nests under every stepping stone on my plot, so I just flip them over now and again and dig over the nest, scattering the eggs for the birds, or if I'm brave scooping them up for the goldfish.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X