BLIGHT - East & West Sussex

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLIGHT - East & West Sussex

Just to warn anyone in either of these areas that we have blight in BN8 (Near Newick/Lewes) and RH13 (Southwater).

On the allotment in Southwater potatoes on all plots appear to have been badly affected.

In my garden in East Sussex all of the potatoes have succumbed and I have had small patches on at least one stem of each tomato plant in the greenhouse. The glass on the roof has been loosened by the recent gales and this has allowed the rain, and therefore the blight spores, to enter the greenhouse.

Wishing the rest of you better luck and some less humid weather!

Mo

Got it in North Cheshire too
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
      Got it in North Cheshire too
      Fingers crossed it won't get to my house then..............

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Had it here since June
        Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I got blight in my area,first notice it around 2 weeks ago. Now all my 30 outside grown tomatoes plants are gone ! and not just that, my plum tree ( victoria ) got rust too It is really terrible !

Momol
          I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

We've got it here too. First noticed it at the end of last month.
            Bright Blessings
            Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Where does it come from? is it due to all the cold damp weather?
              How long does it stay in the soil?
              Will you get it every year to come?
              thanks

Comment

Some areas are more prone to it than others- it's always around and tends to be windboune as I understand it.
                If it's warm and damp, most people will get it.
                Best to be ready for next year by getting in copper sulphate and start spraying spuds and outdoor ( and even indoor!) tomatoes from June.
                Make sure you have enough of it in now....you never know- there may be a shortage next year!
                Everywhere I have read says spray from July, but quite clearly it does happen earlier!!
                If you are in an area which is particularly prone, then try some of the blight resistant types next year ( or better still a few of different varieties).
                Burn any affected foliage and I wouldn't add peelings to your compost.
                Don't be put off by this year, but learn a bit more about your soil type and what is best to grow in your soil for the next warm ,wet summer ( ha!- as if we're going to know!!!)
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I'm told that blight, is a fungal spore, its thrives on damp conditions but require warm temperatures for the spores to survive. I was told it attacks the potato leaves first, then drops down into the soil and attacks the tubers. I think this year has been exceptionally bad for it. The price of spuds and chips will rocket!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X