Chilli turning black ??!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chilli turning black ??!!

I have been so chuffed this year that I had suceeded this year in growing lots of healthy (or so I thought) chilli plants. [I]n the last week the fruits have started to go black. I am absolutely gutted.

Has anyone any ideas if I can rescue any of them?

Hello Cottage Garden and welcome to the Vine. A shame about your chillies. When you say they are going black do you mean as in rotten ? If the plants are healthy you can cut the old chillies off. The plant will flower and make plenty more chillies. If the chillies have rotted there must be a reason - like too wet maybe. Can you tell us some more ?

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I really do hope they are not rotten. At present it is just a black stripe along each chilli. Each day they unfortunately seem to be getting a little blacker. two days ago I had thirty or so healthy chillies. Now every plant bar one has black bits.

Comment

I know this sounds a bit silly but do you know what your chillies should look like? I'm growing some that end up a deep purple colour which does look a bit black. If they're not rotten or generally off looking then they could just be doing what they are supposed to do.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Are they black, healthy looking bits ? If so I'm sure Alison is right and it's just the variety. Maybe they turn purple. Hope so.

Comment

Mine last year (apache) turned black before going red.

Comment

I've just looked at one of mine, and it's got little black streaky bits on it. It's just the chillies ripening.

Comment

Hurrah!!!

thank you all. Feel very relieved. I hated the idea of them all going to waste.

Comment

Cottage Garden,
                  Nothing to worry about.... Some turn black, some don't. Depends on the variety, but it is scary, until you know!
                  I'm growing a Sweet Pepper this year that IS black - I wonder if it will stay black when I cook it?!

Comment

Some chilies go black from green or yellow but the most common cause is that the plants have got too hot or exposed to strong sun in the greenhouse and need some shading. The peppers or chilli will still taste fine.
                    regards
                    Lance

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X