No announcement yet.

Is This Blight?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really do think that the stems in those photos are showing blight infection. The first two photos show exactly what I get - and the fruits were soon showing blight patches.

I agree that you get some marks from rubbing and damage, but it looks like it is quite widespread in the first two shots.

Remember that the spread of blight is not necessarily quick - it depends on the weather conditions. There can be a hiatus if the weather is very hot and dry as the spores need moisture on the plants in order to get a hold.

Sorry to be pessimistic! Mine are dying quite slowly, if that's any consolation!!!

We need someone who has grown black tomatoes to join in now...

Comment

Okay, I'm more or less convinced that what i have is blight now - so is there any point in continuing to grow the plants, since the tomatoes themselves seem fine and not all plants seem affected so far? An additional question - I was planning to plant some maris piper potatoes in an attempt to get a christmas crop, am I wasting my time since I have blight in my garden?
      Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

I hate to say it, but it is blight. All of my outside grown tomatoes were having that, it damage the plant very fast with out touching the leaves ( only severe patches on the stems) and then it goes to the fruit too and it spead very fast too. You will see the domino effect where it infect one plant to the other ( if the toms were planted in raw ).
        My japanese black trifele and the black cherrie were among the last who gets it. Destroy them and remove all the infected plant parts.

Momol
        I grow, I pick, I eat ...

Comment

As for your potatoes plan,once you have remove all the infected plant ( burn them too if possible )... you could grow your potatoes in container and use new compost soil to avoid the blight. But there are no guarantee that it is 100 % save and free from blight, the spores are in the air too! Give it a try if you would like to, and good luck...

Momol

Comment

Thanks Momol - so there's no point in keeping an affected plant while it's still alive and producing tomatoes then? I'll destroy the one that's affected tonight and keep a very keen eye on the rest for signs. Think I might put my new container spuds in mother in laws garden for perhaps a bit more safety!
            Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Hi Moggssue,

You could try to save it but if you have other tom which is free from the blight... It is better you take precautions by removing/ minimazing the source of infection but if it is the only one and you don't have any other susceptible plant at your garden ( other tom or potatoes ), perhaps you could try to save the fruit and hope it will ripe/ near to ripe at the vine... but mind you the infections could reach to the fruit it is really gambling.
              As for you potatoes plan, go a head if your in laws garden don't have blight, just for the safety reason.

All the best,
              Momol

Comment

I have another 6 tomato plants, which seem to be fine so far. One is looking shriveled but I think that's a water/weather issue since its the first of the line. I destroyed the affected plant last night, after taking off the few green toms which are now on my windowsill waiting for a little sunshine! My inlaws don't grow veg, so as far as I know they don't have blight so that's where my potato pots are going this weekend! Thanks for your help momol, very much appreciated!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X