Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    I think the answer was in Post 2
    I thought that too and felt the following discussion had been perfectly grown up and some interesting points made.

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Kirk View Post
      So then has anyone answered Albanach's question?
      Yeah, I did here:

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1228669

as did Aberdeenplotter

Someone lock this, these arguements go nowhere.
      On your say-so eh?

Originally posted by The poly tunnel poet View Post
      [I][COLOR="#008000"]
      We all know what a plough pan is, but, what if all those gallons of glyphosate that do not run down into river ways because they are held in the top soil and detritus layers
      My understanding is that Glyphosate is broken down on contact with the soil. Dunno how though and, personally, I would be more worried about the Adjuvants.

in fact has created a moisture pan and is an unknown causal factor in the bouts of flooding, and as it dries out and adds to precipitation it is increasing acidic rainfall? Am I nuts?
      You mean because all vegetation has been killed, which alters the ecology of the area?

If so my thought is that responsible farmers will use herbicide to kill the weeds and then promptly cultivate the ground. If a farmer left a field Bright Yellow around here, for an extended period of time, people would complain - probably Townies having their Countryside-experience ruined! but either way it would be raised (probably with parish council) and the farmer told (probably the councillor going round and saying "can you do something about it"). I can't remember the last time I saw a Yellow Field that remained like that for a prolonged period.

where would I go to ask such questions and have them answered?
      I don't know of a route to ask a question to her, but I am usually interested by the writings of Linda Chalker-Scott, and it might well be a topic that she would know about, or be interested to research

And how do I find out what it does to the plant, how it works in killing the plant?
      Assuming you are starting with zero knowledge, rather than looking for something in-depth, then Wikipedia might be a useful place to start?

Glyphosate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

for in-depth on the chemistry I am guessing (I haven't checked) that the original Monsanto patent will describe the chemistry in detail. (Although it might only describe the chemistry to make Glyphosate, rather than how it acts in the roots of weeds??)
      K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Thank you for responding Kristen.

I shall see if I can find a way of posing these questions to, Linda Chalker-Scott....

I start with the knowledge you have seen me acquire, and you have seen the questions this new information created.

If the product is spread further into the soil by being turned in, this creates a larger area in the top soil of the product used? (New question raised)

It was when you said 100,000,000 gallons were used worldwide I felt my mouth gape.....and a set of questions began..... This thread has been extremely enlightening and helpful.

When I was studying at college, I really paid little attention to pathogen control, through one "icide" or the other, because biological methods have remained throughout every book of gardening I have read, since I began reading such books. Yet from one generation to the next, chemical based "icides" have been changed due to licence ends or simple bans.

As I try to study for the next set of papers, it is clear to me to have some understanding of the chemical products available. This is very interesting to me because it has raised questions rather then being simple to grasp. I am afraid that at the moment this website is a kind of on line classroom, that my on line course does not provide.

But because I do not have a local college running the next set of papers I want to take, I have to prove I have studied the subject long enough to qualify by their say so to take the papers I wish to take(phew) mouthful there....

I may come back to you, if that is ok, because you are a good mind on this subject to bounce off, Thank you again, for now!
        Before you spray a single thing,
        sit down and read the silent spring.

Comment

Originally posted by The poly tunnel poet View Post
          If the product is spread further into the soil by being turned in, this creates a larger area in the top soil of the product used?
          Only if it persists though, surely?

It was when you said 100,000,000 gallons were used worldwide I felt my mouth gape
          Only if you presume that there is significant risk ... there are huge benefits from reducing the "cost" of agriculture and food production.
          Last edited by scarey55; 16-04-2014, 07:47 AM. Reason: Fixing quote

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
            Only if you presume that there is significant risk ... there are huge benefits from reducing the "cost" of agriculture and food production.
            Although I do have my suspicions that sometimes chemicals are used regardless of need which is wasteful in it's own right.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
              Although I do have my suspicions that sometimes chemicals are used regardless of need which is wasteful in it's own right.
              I'm sure you are right, although chemical price increases (particularly those based on Oil, or those using sophisticated/complicated chemistry) cause farmers to use increasing sophisticated tools to reduce usage/waste. They now use ultra-low-volume spray nozzles, and fertiliser application that is linked to crop yield data recorded by the combine so the amount of fertiliser applied is varied (i.e. within a field) according to how well the previous crop performed ... perhaps they can spray weeds "variably" across a field, rather than having to do one-rate-fits-all?

The GM Marketing People preach to us about how insect-resistant varieties will need less insecticide applied (personally I think that whilst that might be true different issues arise to trouble us instead) ... and so on and such forth.
              Last edited by Kristen; 16-04-2014, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
                perhaps they can spray weeds "variably" across a field, rather than having to do one-rate-fits-all?
                I know they have very "whizzy" technology on Bateman sprayers these days not sure if it gets to that level though,will need to find a buddy next time I'm down south & get updated If that could be developed,being more eco-friendy I reckon peeps in general would more accepting of crop/weed spraying over large areas
                He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X