French Beans critters?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French Beans critters?

My french beans have just started to come through, however on close inspection I have found tiny white catterpillers I think? Not too sure what they are but they are eating the shoots. They are right in the middle of the pod bit. I have got as many out as I can but I'm not too sure whether this would damage the bean. I am gardening organically so any advice of how to get rid of them? New vege gardener in trouble!

How big are these caterpillars? Could be bean weevil "maggots", I suppose. I've never seen them, but if your seeds were old they could have been infected. The only tiny white "caterpillars" I have seen are scariad fly (compost gnat) larvae and they live in the compost and eat the roots of your plants. Any pictures?

Comment

Hi Rustylady,they look more like maggots. I planted tthe seeds out on the 15th and they have only just started to come through. I think maybe because of these horrible little things. So when you say old do you mean they have been in the ground along time or that they are old before I put them in? As I said earlier I am new to this but throughly enjoying it. Have you any ideas of how to get rid of them or should I just take them out? Thanks for your time Jo

Comment

I meant old as in a long time stored (seeds). 2 weeks germination isn't bad, so that's not a problem. Are they in pots or in open ground? I would leave them for a bit and see what happens. You could spray with diluted washing up liquid or soft soap, but I've still got a feeling they could be compost gnat larvae.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X