black fly I think

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• black fly I think

I have a nice mock orange in the back garden and I noticed today that a couple of the tips are covered in little black bugs and the shoots seem to be wilting, this does not affect the whole plant. I have heard that a soap solution is the thing to use.

Silly question number one. Does it matter what soap you use?

Silly question number two. How do I apply it?

Silly question number three. Whats the mix to water?

Originally posted by Percy T View Post
    I have a nice mock orange in the back garden and I noticed today that a couple of the tips are covered in little black bugs and the shoots seem to be wilting, this does not affect the whole plant. I have heard that a soap solution is the thing to use.

I'm only a newbie, Percy, but with broad beans you pinch the tips out - so would that be a solution here?

Comment

Originally posted by Percy T View Post

Silly answer 1 - fairy liquid is OK the "proper" one is soft soap but that can be hard to fnd

Silly answer 2 - a spray bottle dear Percy , dear Percy, dear Percy. a spray bottle dear Percy , dear Percy a spray bottle ( well I did say it was a sill answer )

Silly answer 3 - doesn't really matter, you are just using it to drown the aphids by getting the water to stick to the waxy coating so if you use a pint spray I'd go for 2 or 3 drops of Fairy, bit more if its a supermarket own brand.
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

Spot on Nick - gurus don't get to be gurus if they're not! I also wouldn't nip out the tips. Your broadies are usually as tall as they'll get when you nip them out. With a mock orange you might be losing flower shoots or at least, you'll distort the shape of the bush.
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

thanks everyone.

sorry one more silly question

I do use supermarket own brand washing up liquid which is antibactical and has rosmary and basil smell is this still ok or should I get some own brand ordinary to use in the garden?

Comment

The supermarket brand should be fine. If it has herb extracts in it it will give their skin a lovely healthy feel before it kills them!
            Digger-07

"If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right" Henry Ford.

Comment

right thats all the little blighters sprayed, with rosmary and basil washing up liquid, lets see how they like that!

my poor mock orange plant, its a big shrub and been here ever since we have had the house. Some of the leaves where the black fly is are all curled up think thats due to the black fly. Have a fair few flower buds on it, most I have ever had I think, dont want the black fly spoiling that.

Comment

Mock orange (philadelphus) is a magnet for blackfly - I have the same problem. They only seem to attack the fast-growing new shoots so pinching out could be an answer. The flowers form on stems grown last year, so if you do pinch or cut out the blackfly infested shoots they should be OK.

Comment

ok now I need more help

just been out as the rain has stopped to check my mock orange, and I am sad to say the black fly are still there. I have been spraying daily with soapy water, all they seem to do is move to another shoot.

Sould I do as Rusty lady suggests and pinch out all the new shoots?

Comment

You could do that Percy, but you are liable to loose your flowers. Or you could give in and buy a spray for aphids. That will do the blighters in.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

thanks Alice,

I am not sure what to do now, but I might just pick off the heavily infested shoots and continue to spray for a while and see what happens.

Comment

Percy, I've just seen on another thread somebody recommending Neem Oil. You can google for it. I haven't used it myself but it claims to be an organic cure all for everything. Could be worth a look. Any other grapes use Neem Oil.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

thanks alice will do

Comment

could I use a little bicarbonate of soda in the soapy water?

Comment

That should tickle their fancy- will it froth?
                              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X