No announcement yet.

Nematodes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they only survive a short time in the soil as they are limited by the food or breeding sites available (as are all animals- eg follow barn owl populations and they cycle in a similar way). all you are doing by applying the nematodes in vastly increasing the local population, they then do their job but when there is no more food or breeding potential then the numbers crash.

The number of naturally occuring nematodes in the soil will fluctuate around a stable norm, increasing when there are plenty of slugs and decreasing when their population crashes. The nematode population size lags behind the slugs by a few weeks and so that is why you should time your applications to coincide with the boom in slug numbers- the naturally occurring nematodes will peak in numbers some weeks after the slug numbers increase-so you are just pre-empting the boom (although the natural boom will never be that high). the populations of both crash after this and then there is a quiet few weeks as the remaining slugs breed and build up numbers- only for it all to happen again.

anyway i guess you get the idea.

also being cynical they would not sell them if they lasted a long time...or you would not have to go back and buy more...

Comment

I've used them for weevils but it is too early to say whether they've worked as I have to do another watering later in the year.
      Best wishes
      Andrewo
      Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

do slug pellets kill nematodes?? I havent had time to do the nemaslug yet, but I put my french beans in yesterday and put some slug pellets down as had noticed the little b*****s had been at the broccoli. sure enough, lots of dead slugs and slime this morning.
        should I wait to do the nemaslug now? we had a lot of rain last night...

Comment

I would get the Nemaslug on ASAP, the slug pellets won't be a problem.
          and yes, suppliers of biocontrols have to have repeat business in order to survive but they didn't invent nature - if the prey is there they survive but if it isn't then they die! Some products supplied do carry on year after year and only need topping up each season but unfortunately that is unlikely when dealing with nematodes....

Comment

I have just ordered some as I am overrun with slugs. They have eaten just about all of my alliums, a clematis and started on my herbs in the greenhouse. I haven't yet planted out my veg and I know they will be eaten as soon as they go in the ground. I have started going on patrol when I get home from work but I don't have time to do it in the morning and know they are just munching away as I write this.

Comment

right, off out to wage war. tin helmet on, bayonet at the ready, nematodes to the fore!

Comment

finally got round to doing it tonight, just as well as exp. date was tomorrow. have also put down slug pellets, coz it says on the pack that it takes a week for them to work...

Comment

When you go to war you don't go with gloves on. You don't go lightly, so if you've decided it's war on the slugs use eveything at your disposal That includes every organic method you've heard of AND slug pellets.. The only other choice is stop winding yourself up; sit back and relax and let the slugs eat the lot.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

nematodes worked a TREAT I have to say!!! now I just need to order more...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X